Briefly: X1900 Mac Pro ships, new nano ramping

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer last week began to ship Mac Pro systems configured with ATI's Radeon X1900 XT. Meanwhile, the Mac maker has been ramping its next-generation iPod nano, fueling spot pricing increases for NAND flash memory. And yet another UK-based Apple retail store has turned up on radar.

First X1900 XT Mac Pros ship

The first Mac Pro systems built-to-order with ATI's 512MB Radeon X1900 XT graphics card have left Apple's overseas manufacturing facilities in the Far East.

Some of the system's earliest adopters received FedEx shipping confirmations this past Saturday, AppleInsider has been informed. The machines are expected to touch-down in the States following the Labor Day weekend.

Although Apple initially priced the 2 x dual-link DVI cards as a $350 built-to-order option, last week it quietly reduced the cost by $100 following receipt of the first production shipments from ATI.

Systems configured with the X1900 XT have been delayed since early August. And despite pushing a few out the door last week, Apple continues to list lead times for new X1900 XT-enabled Mac Pros at 3 to 4 weeks.

Apple ramping new iPod nano

Meanwhile, manufacturing ramp of the next-generation, metal-clad iPod nano has been underway for several weeks. The multi-million unit build order will run through December but has already triggered NAND flash price movements.

In a research note issued last week, Baird research analyst Tristan Gerra said 4Gb and 8Gb NAND flash modules have seen spot pricing increases of 2 - 3 percent as a result of Apple's ongoing activities.

"Samsung has informed customers that it will be raising NAND flash prices in September," Gerra told clients.

Apple building on UK retail presence

Moving on to Apple's retail front, a photo taken at the WestQuay Mall pretty much says it all:

The Southampton, UK-based shopping center is due to receive a narrow but multi-level Apple retail store some time in the coming months. According to tipsters, the store will be located about "half way up the main central section" of the shopping plaza.

Apple currently operates six retail stores throughout the UK, including two stores in London, one in Manchester, one in Birmingham, one in Kent and another in Sheffield.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Looking forward to the new Nano announcements. My iPod mini needs to be replaced
  • Reply 2 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "According to tipsters" Holy bat-cape
  • Reply 3 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Waiting eagerly for my Mac Pro and selling my nano.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I want to be a tipster. How well does it pay? How much nonsense do I need to make up? Do I get to come up with funny pseudonyms for myself?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Waiting eagerly for money so i can buy a new nano. Theres really no hope in selling mine for more than 25 bucks. its so scratched up. I just had to be cool and get the black one.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I want to be a tipster. How well does it pay? How much nonsense do I need to make up? Do I get to come up with funny pseudonyms for myself?

It comes with a dental plan -- but only if you're an Enderle-class tipster. Beginners like you can expect a meal check once every week, redeemable at a Chinese takeout (in the Far East).
  • Reply 7 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety

It comes with a dental plan -- but only if you're an Enderle-class tipster. Beginners like you can expect a meal check once every week, redeemable at a Chinese takeout (in the Far East).

Sounds good. Where do I apply? Will I need a portfolio of junk I've written in the past, or will it suffice to point at various articles of Dvorak's?
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

Waiting eagerly for money so i can buy a new nano. Theres really no hope in selling mine for more than 25 bucks. its so scratched up. I just had to be cool and get the black one.

Have you tried polishing it? It's not too hard with the right polishing material. If it works and is usable, it should fetch a lot more than $25. Heck, several parts for a nano are probably worth that.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    The "Apple ramping new iPod nano" sub header appears over the retail store paragraph.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    argh, need a retail store in milton keynes......
  • Reply 11 of 36
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Oh yay. The nearest Apple store is 73 miles away now... Build one near (or in!) Bath, Apple, please! Bath and Bristol are the UK's media centers, every media compamy uses Macs around here. There are no Apple stores in the South West!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer last week began to ship Mac Pro systems configured with ATI's Radeon X1900 XT. Meanwhile, the Mac maker has been ramping its next-generation iPod nano, fueling spot pricing increases for NAND flash memory. And yet another UK-based Apple retail store has turned up on radar.

First X1900 XT Mac Pros ship

The first Mac Pro systems built-to-order with ATI's 512MB Radeon X1900 XT graphics card have left Apple's overseas manufacturing facilities in the Far East.

Some of the system's earliest adopters received FedEx shipping confirmations this past Saturday, AppleInsider has been informed. The machines are expected to touch-down in the States following the Labor Day weekend.

Although Apple initially priced the 2 x dual-link DVI cards as a $350 built-to-order option, last week it quietly reduced the cost by $100 following receipt of the first production shipments from ATI.

Systems configured with the X1900 XT have been delayed since early August. And despite pushing a few out the door last week, Apple continues to list lead times for new X1900 XT-enabled Mac Pros at 3 to 4 weeks.

Meanwhile, manufacturing ramp of the next-generation, metal-clad iPod nano has been underway for several weeks. The multi-million unit build order will run through December but has already triggered NAND flash price movements.

In a research note issued last week, Baird research analyst Tristan Gerra said 4Gb and 8Gb NAND flash modules have seen spot pricing increases of 2 - 3 percent as a result of Apple's ongoing activities.

"Samsung has informed customers that it will be raising NAND flash prices in September," Gerra told clients.

Moving on to Apple's retail front, a photo taken at the WestQuay Mall pretty much says it all:

The Southampton, UK-based shopping center is due to receive a narrow but multi-level Apple retail store some time in the coming months. According to tipsters, the store will be located about "half way up the main central section" of the shopping plaza.

Apple currently operates six retail stores throughout the UK, including two stores in London, one in Manchester, one in Birmingham, one in Kent and another in Sheffield.

Here's hoping that Apple open a store in Cambridge soon, maybe in the new Grand Arcade development, that'd be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

Oh yay. The nearest Apple store is 73 miles away now... Build one near (or in!) Bath, Apple, please! Bath and Bristol are the UK's media centers, every media compamy uses Macs around here. There are no Apple stores in the South West!

you've gotta make do with this -> http://www.western.co.uk/ Apple reseller.

Just a short spin away in the tractor...
  • Reply 14 of 36
    LOL Yea, I've been there once or twice. The staff aren't very nice though... I prefer Farpoint in Bath.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I hope we see the nano with a 12 gig jump.

Waiting this long for 8 gigs, when every other company has them, seems odd.

Plus, while I want a new nano since my current model is scratched beyond recognition, I'd really like to see some value in replacing my current model. Sure, 8 gigs would be nice, but a better, scratch resistant case and 12 gigs would be an exciting and high value buy.

And let us not forget battery life. A jump to 25 hours so the iPod can stay competitive in this area is also essential.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    I wonder what new features it will have, with this new SOC from Samsung?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Bath is cool. I spent a few days there on Study Abroad. Mostly just reseting and relaxing because we had just got done with a 3 week power trip through London and Prague...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Cant wait for another Apple store in Manchester (i.e. Arndale Centre) one 20mins away when I'm living at home and one 15mins when I'm at university ha ha

Go Manchester
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Think yourself lucky - google tells me its 115 miles from Exeter to Southampton (but we all know the south-west doesn't really exist anyway ).

Anyway am looking forward to the new nanos, the battery in my mini lasts for approximately 4.7 songs now so its about time for an update. Of course I can't actually plug an ipod into my macbook long enough for it to transfer more than about 10 minutes of music anyway due to the random shutdowns but what the hell - I need a new toy.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nine-Seventy

Think yourself lucky - google tells me its 115 miles from Exeter to Southampton (but we all know the south-west doesn't really exist anyway ).

Anyway am looking forward to the new nanos, the battery in my mini lasts for approximately 4.7 songs now so its about time for an update. Of course I can't actually plug an ipod into my macbook long enough for it to transfer more than about 10 minutes of music anyway due to the random shutdowns but what the hell - I need a new toy.

Wow! You get 4.7 songs! I only get .33 now. I can't wait to see these new nanos.