Apple cell phone is real and ready for production - analyst

Comments

• Reply 81 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

It's a good time to be an Apple afficionado. Here's to all those who stuck with them through the hard times.

I'm not one of those people, but some of my happiest moments in life have been with a Mac... Or being intimate with someone while chill tunes flowed from iTunes. Or just having the damn sexy Mac hardware somewhere in the room...!!!!!! Goes well with Vellux blankets (Velour) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velour
  • Reply 82 of 160
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    No matter if Wu is wrong or right he's still a fuckwit. Wu one minute bag apple next minute buy...

I really do hope apple gains a foothold in the market I want someway of adding contacts / appointments to my ipod on the go. And my Treo has died.

No wu for u.
  • Reply 83 of 160
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I'm not one of those people, but some of my happiest moments in life have been with a Mac... Or being intimate with someone while chill tunes flowed from iTunes. Or just having the damn sexy Mac hardware somewhere in the room...!!!!!! Goes well with Vellux blankets (Velour) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velour

sunil please tell me you didn't have your i sight on whilst you were being "intimate"
  • Reply 84 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco

sunil please tell me you didn't have your i sight on whilst you were being "intimate"

ROFLMAO - This was back before iSights were built-in. And the "standalone" iSight was/is not that cool. So no worries - I'm not part of the webcam-girl/ youtube-exhibitionist generation
  • Reply 85 of 160
    OMG new iMac WTF.
  • Reply 86 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

The point being, T9 is well established and many people can type on it as quickly as a qwerty keyboard (also well established).

And where do you get the idea texting is falling out of favour?

It's even going up in America...

"After lagging behind Western Europe and Japan for years, Americans are finally getting into the habit of SMS. 48.7 billion SMS messages were sent in the last six months of 2005, an increase of 50 per cent from 32.5bn in the first six months of last year. About 40 per cent of the more than 200m mobile phone subscribers in the US now use text mes..."

Source: http://www.mobileyouth.org/my_item/s...c_rise_america

Not only have there been articles saying that texting is going out of favor with the younger set, the one that will grow into the next group of buyers, but I have some closer to home evidence.

My friends daughter, now 18 uses texting , though less than before. She says that her friends use it, but less as well.

My daughter, who is 15, says that she and her friends don't use it at all.

that coincides with what I've been reading over the past year, or more.

And while T9 is easy once you learn it, you do have to learn it.

Texting started in Japan amongst teenagers because, at least there, texting was cheaper than voice calls. That's not so anymore. At least, not here in the US. Some companies even charge extra for it. If parents won't pay for it, it won't be used. and if students can't afford to pay for it themselves, they won't get it. Adults almost never use it. so it is mostly confined to the young, and some adults in their early twenties. It seems that as people get older, their interest in texting diminishes as well.

So, it's less popular as one goes down in age from the late teens, and also is less popular as people get older.

It's a narrow demographic, that seems to be getting narrower as time goes on.

It does have a use, but not a big one.

I think that most of its use is faddish, and will disappear, mostly, but not go away completely.
  • Reply 87 of 160
    Quote:

Apparently Palm Treo's are now allowed back in to Europe.

See http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.u....1&prodid=2869

Rumoured to be the Treo 750 with Windows Mobile.

Available Sept 12th

Previously they were banned due to containing dangerous substances banned in Europe.

It's probably the new Treo 700wx, which is the old Treo 70x, but with 60MB user memory.

More of the same Windows junk. Here's one typical review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2009941,00.asp
  • Reply 88 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's a narrow demographic, that seems to be getting narrower as time goes on.

If that's the case then that narrow demographic is now using it more and more than ever before as text messages have gone up 50% over last year in the USA.

Here in the UK, my survey amongst our 10-11 year olds and their friends would differ radically with the USA. They spend about £5 a month (and no more as that's all the credit we give them) on text and rarely ever phone anyone. Beaming each other mp3s and pictures seems to be the latest craze. Thankfully that's free.
  • Reply 89 of 160
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Take your pick?

• Reply 90 of 160
    Quote:

It's probably the new Treo 700wx, which is the old Treo 70x, but with 60MB user memory.

More of the same Windows junk. Here's one typical review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2009941,00.asp

No, it's a 750. The 700wx is banned in Europe.
  • Reply 91 of 160
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

And if so, that isn't a 'smartphone'.

If it's just a music phone, then it's up against phones that cost £30 on Pay-as-you-go contracts. Pretty much all ultra-low end phones will play mp3s now.

But Apple isn't obliged to respect artificial marketing categories like "smart phone" vs. "just a music phone". They can design something that avoids the "must do everything" mania of the consumer electronics industry while improving the overall experience with a great interface and whatever "Apple " touches they've come up with.

I don't see iPod sales and iTMS use tumbling, so despite the appeal of whatever music playing phones are already on the market, apparently the iPod/iTMS system still fits the bill to a lot of people.

I can't see why an iPod that acted as a phone would change that.

I still say looking at this as phone that also plays music which has to compete feature for feature with other phones that play music gets it backwards.

It's an iPod with a killer new feature. Assuming the premium over a standard iPod isn't too steep, the market so far suggests that's slam dunk.
  • Reply 92 of 160
    Quote:

No, it's a 750. The 700wx is banned in Europe.

What's the difference? The numbers are often different in different markets.

Are you sure it's the wx that is banned, and not the older w model? The wx just came out. It isn't even available in most places yet. Maybe not anywhere.
  • Reply 93 of 160
    Nice mock-up roundup Ireland :thumbs up:
  • Reply 94 of 160
    Quote:

What's the difference? The numbers are often different in different markets.

Are you sure it's the wx that is banned, and not the older w model? The wx just came out. It isn't even available in most places yet. Maybe not anywhere.

Treo 750 - http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/30/n...hotos-du-jour/

Sorry, I was wrong about the 700 being banned. The 650 is banned under European Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) legislation. The 700 doesn't work in Europe at all anyway. The 650 was their only phone in Europe. I thought they'd moved on to the 700 by now.

They should do better with the 750 as they've got rid of the stupid stub aerial. It made the 650 look like something out of the 90s.
  • Reply 95 of 160
    I don't get Treos, PocketPC and Windows Mobile. I'm just not a PDA/smartphone kinda guy. I had a Dell Axim in 2004 for a while with Wifi built in, it was, bleahh.. Maybe Apple can do something about phone/ pda/ 3g/ iPod/ etc.................................... Hmm
  • Reply 96 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

But Apple isn't obliged to respect artificial marketing categories like "smart phone" vs. "just a music phone". They can design something that avoids the "must do everything" mania of the consumer electronics industry while improving the overall experience with a great interface and whatever "Apple " touches they've come up with.

They sure aren't obliged and that's why they often come up with something good. However, they've the Walkman phones to beat for music phones and those use the same OS as the higher up smartphones, use the same apps and same Walkman music application which has been coming on in leaps and bounds since the first phones Sony branded Walkman.

There's room for a range of iPod phones perhaps. I really hope they do both a music centered phone and a smart phone. I could really care less about music on my phone but I do need a web browser, email and good texting.

Currently on my p910i, I've also got GPS (entire map of Europe) and various geek tools like an ssh terminal that I'd really rather not be without but I can see how that's not essential for everyone.

I've also got about a gigabyte of music and almost all the old Lucasarts SCUMM games for when I have time to kill. That's not often.

Quote:

I don't see iPod sales and iTMS use tumbling, so despite the appeal of whatever music playing phones are already on the market, apparently the iPod/iTMS system still fits the bill to a lot of people.

It's usage is distorted by America where you've crap phones and crap phone companies. Elsewhere in the world, particularly the far east, more songs are sold via mobile phone than by the iPod/ITMS.

Quote:

I can't see why an iPod that acted as a phone would change that.

I still say looking at this as phone that also plays music which has to compete feature for feature with other phones that play music gets it backwards.

It's an iPod with a killer new feature. Assuming the premium over a standard iPod isn't too steep, the market so far suggests that's slam dunk.

But most people already have a phone. It's far from a slam dunk. If all an iPod phone does is basic phone stuff AND be an iPod then I'll pass. Got that already plus lots more even if it's not shiny/scratchy white and impossibly thin.
  • Reply 97 of 160
    a if apple come out with a phone with I-tunes that data better be free or that $0.99 song may come with a $5+ data bill.
  • Reply 98 of 160
    Quote:

Treo 750 - http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/30/n...hotos-du-jour/

Sorry, I was wrong about the 700 being banned. The 650 is banned under European Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) legislation. The 700 doesn't work in Europe at all anyway. The 650 was their only phone in Europe. I thought they'd moved on to the 700 by now.

They should do better with the 750 as they've got rid of the stupid stub aerial. It made the 650 look like something out of the 90s.

It's interesting that while consumers prefer no external antenna, studies have shown that the best reception is had for phones with external pull-out antenna's, the next best is with stubs, and the worst is with internal antenna's.

But this is one place where convenience and style really do win.
  • Reply 99 of 160
    Quote:

It's usage is distorted by America where you've crap phones and crap phone companies. Elsewhere in the world, particularly the far east, more songs are sold via mobile phone than by the iPod/ITMS.

I'd like to see some evidence of that. Ring tones that are part of songs, etc., yes. But I haven't read anything about phone companies having sold over a billion actual songs over their phone networks.

And I don't agree about crap phones and xompanies. I can't stand most European phones. Nokia doesn't impress me at all, and neither does does their smartphones, nor any Symbian phones.
  • Reply 100 of 160
    Looks to be much more than most suspect.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...nsing_devices/