Comments

• Reply 141 of 229
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    hahahahha

Rolo may be right after all.

Sweet revenge for him if he's right.
  • Reply 142 of 229
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Wow, someone linking a Cringely article. Can this thread get any worse? Any takers?
  • Reply 143 of 229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot

A 40" HD MacTV?

er... 24"
  • Reply 144 of 229
    Just called another 500 shares. Apple you are gorgeous. I love you so much.
  • Reply 145 of 229
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

=I'm just hoping that all of this rampant speculation here, and elsewhere, won't lead to a severe disappointment.

...it always does for some regardless of what comes out.
  • Reply 146 of 229
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Can't help either, ... but i thought the same.

Wild educated guess: iPod HiFi with wireless video streaming capability. No?

Oooh, and a built-in 8-10 inch screen. Perfect for dorm rooms, parties, picnics, etc. I don't know about wireless video streaming, but it could certainly play video from your iPod in the dock above.

Good thinking, Vox!
  • Reply 147 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Wow, someone linking a Cringely article. Can this thread get any worse? Any takers?

But, he's fun to read! I've been reading his stuff for, what, almost two decades?

I actually think he's got some good points in this article. I've also heard, from some, who should know, that Apple was planning Tv's back then. They should do that too.
  • Reply 148 of 229
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Hey! Don't forget I invoked the name of Rolo at the same time. So, yes, it can get worse. Now if we can just get something from O'Grady.
  • Reply 149 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Hey! Don't forget I invoked the name of Rolo at the same time. So, yes, it can get worse. Now if we can just get something from O'Grady.

Not O'Grady, please!
  • Reply 150 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Oooh, and a built-in 8-10 inch screen. Perfect for dorm rooms, parties, picnics, etc. I don't know about wireless video streaming, but it could certainly play video from your iPod in the dock above.

Nice.

Very educated guess: An iPod HiFi with build in Airport Express, that would be

a killer machine for a lot of people i know. My self included.
  • Reply 151 of 229
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I'm not necessarily a fan of the Apple TV plan. I think that the AirPort Express idea has more of a market than TV's and will make more money for Apple. If Apple does do a TV what will they bring to it? They may compete in price, but they will not be the lowest and probably not the mid range.

The only thing that I can see that they can bring is a unified interface for Cable/broadcast and Front-row. To do this they would need to have the HD cable built in. This opens the possibility to have a DVR capable TV that sends the video files to your Mac for storage, manipulation, and archiving. They could integrate it with iCal for recording as well. If they don't do something like this then it is just another TV in a very crowded market of technologies (LCD, Plasma, LCD Projection, DLP), brands, and models. Apple's history with marketing, pricing, and advertising would make it hard to compete. They don't do sales, they don't advertise price, and they don't adjust prices fast enough for the TV market place. Sure they could adjust, but they have not shown a willingness to do so in other markets that they compete in so there is no reason to expect that they would with TV's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products and services. I want them to compete and set the trend in the online Movie market with products and services that bring the same philosophy of design and integration to a market that has almost no organized integration in users interface. I'm looking foreword to seeing what comes out, and dreading it at the same time since I don't have a spare $2000-3000 to spend right now. I just hope that they come out with a product that competes in price, includes Windows users, and brings a clean easy user interface and is neatly integrated with a content delivery system. The only thing that I have doubts about is the price.
  • Reply 152 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Apple TV plan. I think that the AirPort Express idea has more of a market than TV's and will make more money for Apple. If Apple does do a TV what will they bring to it? They may compete in price, but they will not be the lowest and probably not the mid range.

The only thing that I can see that they can bring is a unified interface for Cable/broadcast and Front-row. To do this they would need to have the HD cable built in. This opens the possibility to have a DVR capable TV that sends the video files to your Mac for storage, manipulation, and archiving. They could integrate it with iCal for recording as well. If they don't do something like this then it is just another TV in a very crowded market of technologies (LCD, Plasma, LCD Projection, DLP), brands, and models. Apple's history with marketing, pricing, and advertising would make it hard to compete. They don't do sales, they don't advertise price, and they don't adjust prices fast enough for the TV market place. Sure they could adjust, but they have not shown a willingness to do so in other markets that they compete in so there is no reason to expect that they would with TV's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products and services. I want them to compete and set the trend in the online Movie market with products and services that bring the same philosophy of design and integration to a market that has almost no organized integration in users interface. I'm looking foreword to seeing what comes out, and dreading it at the same time since I don't have a spare $2000-3000 to spend right now. I just hope that they come out with a product that competes in price, includes Windows users, and brings a clean easy user interface and is neatly integrated with a content delivery system. The only thing that I have doubts about is the price.

I don't agree with your statements about an Apple branded Tv (or for that matter DVD players, speakers, etc., which you didn't mention)

If Apple came out with a series of flat panel Tv's, with Apple styling, and good performance, and a decent price structure, they would sell well. If Apple sold just 100 thousand, not very many, at $2,000 apiece (not very expensive for these items), that would add $200 million to their sales. A good chunk of change.

One thing that has been known for some time now is that people, in general, like to buy everything from one company. I'm getting this also from my friends who own hi end audio/video manufacturing companies. They are all increasing their lines to include products they never bothered with before, so that they can serve their customer end to end, with a turnkey system. This is the way the iPod works now, though it expanded to include PC's.

I can see Apple doing the same thing, from input to output. A lot of people would just love to have an all Apple system.

It could even be that the iPod HiFi was a test, to see if people would buy an Apple branded system.
  • Reply 153 of 229
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I can see Apple doing the same thing, from input to output. A lot of people would just love to have an all Apple system.

Which makes sense when you consider Apple as a "solutions" company, as a few people do.
  • Reply 154 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

Which makes sense when you consider Apple as a "solutions" company, as a few people do.

Yes, exactly. That is what Apple pushes.
  • Reply 155 of 229
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I do like the idea of an Airport HD. Certainly shipping times on Airport base stations has been way up recently. (Before you trash me, I didn't check today...)
  • Reply 156 of 229
    //image (excuse my usual cross-posting)

• Reply 157 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

//image (excuse my usual cross-posting)

Suni, how are you doing? How did you celebrate your 5.000th?

The question is, where does the term Showtime hint to?

Movie store? HD Rental service? Neither both?

Just a title to announce something...
  • Reply 158 of 229
    52 hours to go ...
  • Reply 159 of 229
    Another guess: An iPod HiFi with build in Airport Express AND a build in HD,

say about 80gig. The killer feature would be a mechanism to (auto) sync with

any given iPod and/or iTunes. Did i mention that the iPod line then have have

to be upgraded with wireless capabilities?

I guess the iPod Hifi line ends up with 3 konfigurations:

1. iPod Hifi as we know, maybe with wireless capabilities but without HD.

2. iPod Hifi Express with build in HD and wireless capabilities.

3. iPod Hifi Video. Basically an iPod Hifi #2 with Video streaming capabilities

That would be very Apple. A beautyful egosystem around iPod+iTunes.

AppleTV, hmmm,... no. Not very Apple.
  • Reply 160 of 229
    The actual product might be little of any of this. It could just be an iPod with a bigger screen, and HD. Who knows?