The End of the PDA/Tablet Wait May Be Upon Us!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yes; another PDA/Tablet thread! Damn me if you must, but cast your browser here before you cast spite, flame and abuse in my direction.

I just had surgery and am coming out from under a dissipating narco-cloud (all hail the American Pharmaceutical Industry!)

It's probably nothing, but what an incredibly capable nothing

Okay; spew your bile! Anon!

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Personally I think that has more to do with an iPod then a large tablet.The examples given in the patent show it being used as a remote control, cell phone, GPS locator, gamepad, ipod, camera, ect. None of which really lend themselves well to a big tablet but more a smaller iPod/PDA-like device.

So it looks like we've got a glimpse of the next iPod (or perhaps the ipod after the next one). Pretty cool stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

Personally I think that has more to do with an iPod then a large tablet.The examples given in the patent show it being used as a remote control, cell phone, GPS locator, gamepad, ipod, camera, ect. None of which really lend themselves well to a big tablet but more a smaller iPod/PDA-like device.

So it looks like we've got a glimpse of the next iPod (or perhaps the ipod after the next one). Pretty cool stuff.

Agreed that it is more iPod-like/oriented, but I didn't see any ...*dimensions*

The patent reads like a user's manual!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 13
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    It's quite possible this is what we will be getting as opposed to the "true" Video iPod. A small handheld device that is all screen and can switch between iPod, Phone, PDA, etc. The respective interfaces are all done on screen. In iPod mode a virtual scrollwheel appears. In Phone mode the scrollwheel is replaced with a keypad, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    That would be better then a "true" video ipod IMO. So long as it's not more expensive. Or at least too much more expensive. I can totally see Apple doing this though. The full size iPod will become a swiss army knife (pretty much already has) and the nano will take over as the dedicated music player.

Afterall the name iPod doesn't mention music, even though that is what it's become associated with. But even so it could turn itself into anything. It will basically become Apple's new line of computers.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePiIt

It will basically become Apple's new line of computers.

I also think that we are on the verge of a paradigm change in computing. The "personal" computer will be your phone/iPod. The technology now allows for this. Apple only needs to create the interface to do it. A whole new platform could emerge from this, making "PCs" irrelevant. Maybe you could have some sort of server/mutimedia hub at home, and everyone their own mobile/iPod with them.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Sure I agree to an extent. Though I think both will probably co-exist together. There are things you just can't do on that small of a screen. But I defintiely think there is a shift in computing. Rather then just the desktop we are seeing computers in the living room (24" iMac) and computers in your pocket in the form of an iPod/cell phone/PDA. I think the big trick will be getting them to all work together nicely. But if anyone can do it then Apple can. They build the whole system right now whereas the other companies are scattered about loosely uniting under Microsoft from time to time.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    paradigm shift is almost an understatement. Wow... too good to be true, but we can all hope and pray!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    So if "iPod+" acts as 3 devices, and perhaps even a multi-function TV remote.. hey, it could happen... I would have to assume a fairly thick, almost glass-like screen, fairly resistant to fingerprints, yet completely transparent and able to show backlit video. Good golly, Miss Molly, NOW I'm starting to get into the insanity...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

There are things you just can't do on that small of a screen.

You are right, but then again, one only needs to plug its iPod/PDA/mobile into a dock attached to a full keyboard and a full screen. It's not that hard to do. It could back up all of your files to your home server at the same time. I think this is the beginning of ubiquitous computing, where you always have access to your files and to computing power.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I can see Apple coming out with an incredible Treo-like iPhone/iPod/iTablet device. I'd buy one.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I can see Apple coming out with an incredible Treo-like iPhone/iPod/iTablet device. I'd buy one.

It might be in the works.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2025

Whatever they come up with will be awesome. Hope they sell it in Japan! With content!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    "I can see Apple coming out with an incredible Treo-like iPhone/iPod/iTablet device. I'd buy one."

===

Glad to know apple finally wake up... Palm is excellent in the field of medical and scientific application, GPS, even multi programmable function. It is difficult to be flexible in term of applicaton and performance enhancement.

My wish list would include: Video phone would be nice, camera is a must, plus wifi gps in the city (hopefully, better than tomtom)... link up some projective display and light weight wireless flexible keyboard (the rubbery stuff like the foldable logitech keyboard) will got me to start saving money (cut down the trip to golden arch)... not sure want to sell the Zire 72 on ebay yet...waiting, waiting...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ok so I imagine it would be.... ( keep in mind this is looking at it in default (verical) mode )

- 5 inches long, 3 inches wide, 1 inch thick ( all screen )

- isight camera ( could rotate to front or back ), bluetooth, wi-fi (G)

- 3 dedicated side buttons, 1 power/hold switch, ipod connector, stylus holder on top right.

it would have be able to pick different functions, each with its own touch screen interface

- music ( half scroll wheel, half menu/album art/info, would include fm or internet radio )

- video ( horizontal...all touch menu, then switches to all video, dedicated volume/play-pause on side of ipod ) [ would rewind/fast forward by touching buttons on side that show when touched]

- phone ( half screen/ half number pad and call funtions ) [would default into phone mode]

- pda ( mobile leopard, 3/4 screen 1/4 menu buttons ) [ volume buttons would become back/forward and play-pause would become menu button ]

- would have mobile iChat ( wifi required ) and mobile widgets, etc.

only thing I can't think of is how they would protect the screen. possibly a screen cover that turns and becomes stand) think like a macbook but 270 degrees open.

- would also sport IR so it could be used as front row remote.

- (europe/japan only) would be able to be used with vending machines and itunes kiosks for credit purchases.

first person to mock this up ( i suck at photoshop ) gets a cookie.