Bigger Screens = Resolution Independence a sure thing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Being the recent purchaser of a 24" iMac, I hope that resolution independence will be a sure thing in the next OS. If not, I may have to have my eye balls extracted and replaced with CCD imagers.

To beat a dead horse I have submitted a poll.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Something tells me that the new iMac size, the wall mountable option, the 512 icon size stuff that came out awhile back, and whatever Tuesday has to offer are all signs that point to yes.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The size of the screen has nothing to do with resolution independence. It's all about the DPI.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf

The size of the screen has nothing to do with resolution independence. It's all about the DPI.

Regardless, moving from my 20" iMac G5 to my wifes 23" cinema, I am freekn straining my eyeballs to read the screen.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Resolution independence is 99% a sure thing in Leopard. There have been many, many clues.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    After using Maya on PCs at school at 1600x1200, going home and attempting to use Maya on my 1280x854 powerbook g4 gets mighty claustrophobic. I'm all for larger, and higher res, screens. Bring it on!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes

Resolution independence is 99% a sure thing in Leopard. There have been many, many clues.

Yes there have, and the 24" iMac isn't one of them. A bump to 1920x1200 screens on the 20" iMac and the 17" MBP would have been, however.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    With all this talk of resolution independence i would really like to know exactly what it is, and why everyone is so frustrated about not having it??
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Wasn't this discussed to death?

Simply put rez independence or even semi independence(which apple might take) is the idea that pixel density does not equal picture size.

Thus going into 1920 is not going to screw up your internet viewing days.

The only saving point for current systems are that people only ramp up their resolutions on bigger screens, thus mantaining size ratio. Of course this gives the inverse "headache" where which monitor size that you try to target?

Basically it's the pdf-ish way to computers. Everything is locked to a standard we would(apple/developers) agree apon.

Apple might do semi rez independence in which they would only scale to a certain min and max. Like using 10meg jpegs and just zooming in and out. (assuming no one is going to go 200% on it)