Mac OS X OEM license?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, since the new iMac with Core 2 Duo is out now, I am seriously thinking about getting one. With Leopard on its way, I think I might regret buying iMac with Tiger now. That's why I came up with a brilliant 8) idea.

I have an iBook G4 800 Mhz now. Let's say I buy iMac now with Tiger. And then Leopard comes out next January. Can I install the Tiger that came with iMac onto the iBook G4, and get a copy of Leopard for the new iMac?

Beware that I am not talking about the technical possibility. Instead, I would like to know whether this violates whatever license that might comes with the pre-installed OSes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    There actually IMHO should be no problem, legally. The only thing is that your Tiger DVDs are specific for the iMac so you may have a problem getting it to install onto the iBookG4. Do you have only "Software Restore" DVDs or a "Tiger" DVD? Anyone feel free to correct me.

You have raised an interesting point about pre-installed OSes.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    koyikoyi Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Do you have only "Software Restore" DVDs or a "Tiger" DVD?

I don't have any of them at the moment since I haven't buy iMac yet :P I am just thinking of getting one.

Quote:

You have raised an interesting point about pre-installed OSes.

Yeah, I think this OEM issue is more well-known in the Windows world... :P But how many people actually care...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Unless they've changed things recently, the System Restore disks that are shipped with a computer are specific to that model (iMac disks won't install Tiger on a 'book. The license is certainly trasferable from one machine to another though.

If you buy a retail copy of the OS, it is NOT limited this way.

But, If you can afford $1600 for a new iMac right now, then coming up with another $129 for Leopard several months down the road shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Is there a way to override that limitation between computer models (such as PPC iMac and iBook)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Unless they've changed things recently, the System Restore disks that are shipped with a computer are specific to that model (iMac disks won't install Tiger on a 'book. The license is certainly trasferable from one machine to another though.

If you buy a retail copy of the OS, it is NOT limited this way.

But, If you can afford $1600 for a new iMac right now, then coming up with another $129 for Leopard several months down the road shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you

Also another $129 for Tiger to install on the iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu

Is there a way to override that limitation between computer models (such as PPC iMac and iBook)

Yes good question... Anyone know?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Yes good question... Anyone know?

It's

a) not ethical

b) you can't discuss it on these boards

c) possible
  • Reply 8 of 14
    a) okay

b) we won't go in so deep

c) cool. curiousity satisfied.

d) further research will have to be off-board 8)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    e) ahh... i see various possibilities. very cool.

f) ethically and legally, i understand. it's taken that your computer comes with the OEM version of Tiger, ie, getting it discount/free wiht a new computer.

g)overall Koyi best to buy one Retail copy of Tiger and one Retail copy of Leopard. Or, buy one Retail copy of Leopard, install on both Macs. [Illegal]. [Legal]::Buy Leopard Family Pack, Can install up to 5 machines - only $70 more from $129 to $199.

h)so i guess just $199, Leopard on your two Macs, ethics and law okay. Sweet.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    (nevermind)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    a) ethics are subjective (cntrl + option + d) ;-)

b) pm's are a world without these "ethics" and are generally allowed if anyone wants to pop something in there.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

[Legal]::Buy Leopard Family Pack, Can install up to 5 machines - only $70 more from $129 to $199.

In fact I am still a student... so it is cheaper to buy 2 retail copies instead of a family pack...

Thanks for all the arguments and opinions
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koyi

In fact I am still a student... so it is cheaper to buy 2 retail copies instead of a family pack...

Thanks for all the arguments and opinions

No you buy one retail copy of Leopard and you install it on both machines (assuming the iBook still meets minimum specs). Presently, there is absolutely nothing built into the OS to stop you dong this. Apple will be happy you bought one copy of Leopard. They care much much more that you buy a Mac.

Apple has made no attempt to stop people installing their retail OS's on any number of Macs to date. I would estimate 10,000's of people have upgraded iBook G4 et al to an 'acquired' copy of Tiger. Does Apple really care? No, because your going to buy new hardware shortly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I'm not going to say whether it's morally right or wrong, but whether Apple cares doesn't make it not legal...