Is there a big diffrence?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ive been battleing over what monitor to get and i have saved money up and just said screw it. Im going to spend a whole bunch and get one of the cinema displays.

I just wanted to know is there a big diffrence in quality between the 20" and the 23". The 20" is a cinema display and the 23" is a cinema HD display.

Just wanted to know if the extra 3 inches is worth the 300 extra.

And also should i wait are there new display's on the way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    You should wait for a revison. Should be close now (maybe september 12th... wo knows). It got a chance of getting a integrated Isight since it will be inclued in leopard, so if you got a Mac Pro and a ACD, you will be ok.

If you don't want to wait and want a great deal, don't get a ACD. You should check the dell 24". It has better specs, more connections (s-video, etc), and I think it is a bit cheaper.

I heard about other monitors that are bettre than acd and are cheaper but I can remember their names.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    That depends on what you do with your comuter. If you need the extra screen realestate then it is worth it, especially if you are making money with your computer. If all you are doing is browsing the web and writing e-mail then I wouldn't waste my time. However, if you are working in InDesign or other pallet heavy applications then it could easily be worth it in productivity gains from not having to search for the pallet that you need or in zooming in and out of documents.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    i spend most my day in photoshop and dreamweaver.

I got a

Macbook Pro 15.4

Intel core duo 2.16

2gb of DDR2

100gb 7200rpm HDD

and a bunch of other goodies like a wacom tablet, WD 500gb external and a canon film scanner.

I love this comptuer so much i dont even use windows anymore and i really have no desire to ever use it again.

I just need another monitor right now im using a Philips 201b 21" crt thats old and beat up. I have an iSight already in the MBP so i dont need one and i was just wondering about the next revision for better contrast ration and maybe some component inputs.

edit: Im also a fiend for everything matching. I just wanted to konw if theres going to be a big diffrence in the 20 and 23 as of now or if anyone has heard any rumors about new displays.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    having full HD on your display is nice. It was out of my price range, so I got a 20". You should check newegg.com, because that's where I found a nice Samsung for $300.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    yeah i was going to go down that route and get a 20inch viewsonic or lg but i seen them in person and they didnt seem as close to the quality as the ACD
  • Reply 6 of 14
    # LG L203WT Black-Silver 20.1" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Brightness: 300 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 1400:1

Display Type: WSXGA+

Horizontal Refresh Rate: 30~93 kHz

Maximum Resolution: 1680x1050

Panel: Active Matrix, TFT LCD

Pixel Pitch: 0.258mm

Recommended Resolution: 1680x1050

Vertical Refresh Rate: 56~85 Hz

Viewing Angle: 160°(H) / 160°(V)

# Model #: L203WT

# Item #: N82E16824005078

1400:1 contrast ratio Is that right?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My wife has a 23" on her mini, I have a 20" iMac G5 and a 20" on my Mini Duo at work.

The 23" is nice. The 20" is nice. I have a 24" iMac on order.

The perfect solution IMHO is two 20" side by side.

But I love them all!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew266

1400:1 contrast ratio Is that right?

The first thing to learn about reading monitor specs is never to trust the vendor.

The second thing to learn about reading monitor specs is never ever to trust the vendor.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

The first thing to learn about reading monitor specs is never to trust the vendor.

The second thing to learn about reading monitor specs is never ever to trust the vendor.

I just upgraded from a pinstripe 2004 20" ACD to the current 23" ACD.

The difference is not only apparent in size, but in quality -- the newer LCDs are much brighter with better contrast and sharpness. The old 20" looks gray/drab next to the new one.

To answer your question -- yes, I think the extra 3" is worth it... it's already made a positive impact on my workflow. But I also agree to wait until at least 9/12 for any new monitors.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by epimetheus

I just upgraded from a pinstripe 2004 20" ACD to the current 23" ACD.

The difference is not only apparent in size, but in quality -- the newer LCDs are much brighter with better contrast and sharpness. The old 20" looks gray/drab next to the new one.

To answer your question -- yes, I think the extra 3" is worth it... it's already made a positive impact on my workflow. But I also agree to wait until at least 9/12 for any new monitors.

I agree! Lucky for me I was able to borrow a friends aluminum 20" cinema display to replace my aging lucite model for use with my Mac Pro. I can sit tight and wait for Apple's next revision and then I'll pickup the 23/34 model whatever size and specs it actually has.

30" is over the top. Droolworthy, but over the top.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You should buy an NEC 20WMGX2 instead of a 20" Cinema Display. It's better in every single way.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    It'll be a 24" - all the monitors coming out now in 1920x1200 are 24" - except laptops, which somehow cram that into 19 inch displays
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

It'll be a 24" - all the monitors coming out now in 1920x1200 are 24" - except laptops, which somehow cram that into 19 inch displays

I've seen that resolution crammed into a 15" notebook screen, it's also offered in some 17" notebooks too. For photos, it's very, very pretty, but I think it's too small for current operating systems user interfaces, the text is tiny.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Im off to bed now thanks for the help everybody and i hope we see some cool new toys tommrow.