Final Cut Pro 5.1 Universal Problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a macbook and Final Cut Pro 5.1 I'm making a video of different clips from movies and was converting the movies using Handbrake, converting them into .avi format and importing them into Final Cut, the problem is i have to render the clips before i can do anything with them and whenever i click to render the rendering window pops up for a second then stops and doesn't do anything, i've tried ctrl + R to do it and also by selecting render selection, render all and render only in the sequence drop down menu getting the same results for all of them, which is the rendering window will again pop up and then not even a second later close out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I would use a different format for my clips. FCP likes quicktime files and .dv most of all. If you convert to NTSC QT files it shouldn't have to render before it plays back.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I agree, use DV or something. The only way to avoid a render is to have the source clips in the same format as the output. The big problem I suspect is that your sources are mpeg-2. Quicktime is pretty bad at handling mpeg-2 files. I would use ffmpegx to convert to DV.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    what program should i use to convert to those formats??
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Herffinator

what program should i use to convert to those formats??

ffmpegx

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/