Apple's Final Cut Pro to receive update next month

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer has been working on an update to its Final Cut Pro video editing software that it plans to release in about a month's time.

At the IBC content creation and management forum this week, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker can been seen demonstrating Final Cut Pro 5.1.2.

According to reports, the new version features added compatibility for XDCAM HD, including support for all frame rates and resolutions, including 18mbit and 35mbit support.

Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 will also gain JVC 24p support, allowing it to import 24p media from JVC's GY-HD1 series of digital cameras, according to the same reports.

Other improvements expected in the new version of the software include native import support for Canon's 24F format from its XL H1 camcorder and possibly two other recently introduced models.

Apple is expected to release the Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 update over its Mac OS X Software Update mechanism sometime next month, tipsters tell AppleInsider.

The company at its annual developers conference last month had hinted it was ready to roll-out 24p support in an upcoming update to Final Cut Pro, but at the time offered no further details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Holy spumoni!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    So will it be just FCP or the whole FCS suite?

Soundtrack Pro is woefully overdue for an update. In its current state, it's a turd that is barely usable.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Oh good, I thought my Soundtrack problems were just me.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I actually like Soundtrack, but it's painfully slow in sound cleanup mode, and if the file is "too large" it won't even complete the process... Also, I'm somewhat embarassed to note I've never been able to figure out how to move a multi-track project through Apple's suggested production process. It's not very intuitive to me, a person who actually is comfortable with real audio equipment! I ususally just get my projects to a state of "good enough", then mix down to an AIFF. They definitely need to add .MP3 format output also.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Finally canon 24f support. Just in time for the xha1 I'll be getting!

It's funny the article writer must not be a camera loving person because they JVC GY-HD1 is a 2-3 year old camera that only shoots 30p and even it's hdv capability is spotty. THe article should read the hd100 and upcomming hd110, and 250.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho

Oh good, I thought my Soundtrack problems were just me.

It's not just you. There were heated complaint threads earlier this year when Apple discontinued the unbundled items so you had to get Studio to get FCP. The complaints almost totally covered SoundTrack Pro. The majority opinion was that it was not anywhere near par.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    A descriptive undo/redo list!!! For the love of God and all that is holy!!! Every app for the past 10 years has this except FCP!!!! WHY?? Apple's pro apps seem to be languishing in a sea of Apple apathy.