Software needed to Sync three Music folders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Good morning my online neighbours,

I have a problem. Well I have many problems but I only need you all to help with one. I have two Macs right now (Mac Pro shipped on the 7th, which is why I need your help). Both mac have a ton of music on them. My 12" PB, which is my home machine, has most of the CDs I own on it, it also a has few my Girlfriend has bought which is in her account. I also have a music folder on my G5 tower at my office, this is almost a duplicate of my mac at home except I have bought many cds online from iTunes.

What I want to to combine all of these folders in to one so I can format my laptop and get ready for the arrival of my New computer. This is a challenge cause there is lots of duplicate folders but not duplicate albums..

Anyway, is there an app out there that will let me compare all of these music folders and move the music to one place with out having duplicates?

does this make sence? I have had a lot of coffee already today.

woot.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice

Good morning my online neighbours,

I have a problem. Well I have many problems but I only need you all to help with one. I have two Macs right now (Mac Pro shipped on the 7th, which is why I need your help). Both mac have a ton of music on them. My 12" PB, which is my home machine, has most of the CDs I own on it, it also a has few my Girlfriend has bought which is in her account. I also have a music folder on my G5 tower at my office, this is almost a duplicate of my mac at home except I have bought many cds online from iTunes.

What I want to to combine all of these folders in to one so I can format my laptop and get ready for the arrival of my New computer. This is a challenge cause there is lots of duplicate folders but not duplicate albums..

Anyway, is there an app out there that will let me compare all of these music folders and move the music to one place with out having duplicates?

does this make sence? I have had a lot of coffee already today.

woot.

flick.

Can't you just copy them, and use iTunes find duplicates tool? Of course you need to give permissions for new computer for your iTunes bought songs.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501

Can't you just copy them, and use iTunes find duplicates tool? Of course you need to give permissions for new computer for your iTunes bought songs.

Does that actually work? I've alwayts thought there must be a better solution..

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    what if you were to connect the two you have now via firewire and just drag the itunes library from the Powerbook to the G5 Tower, then import the music files in that folder into iTunes. Wouldn't you get a popup asking what you wanted to do with duplicates where you could just say that you did not want to include duplicates/wanted to replace duplicates?

I'm sure someone will have a better answer than mine, but this seems easiest to me.

Or even couldn't you use the migration assistant to migrate the user account(s) on the powerbook over to the G5 tower and then just clean the drive from there?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crap. someone beat me to it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I thought if you copied one itunes folder over another that it replaces NOT merges the folders??? This would be very bad! There needs to be a compare tool.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/TidyUp.html

used this with +3000 fonts and it worked like a charm

copy the 2 folders in 1 folder and let tidyup do the work

after that let itunes arrange your files
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lsngctrl

I thought if you copied one itunes folder over another that it replaces NOT merges the folders??? This would be very bad! There needs to be a compare tool.

Exactly.

flick.