Intel Observation

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it just me, or does Intel upgrade their processors every three to four months? This is something I have noticed for a long time.

The real question is, will Apple be able to make beautiful looking machines to continue to support these upgrades? And if they do adopt each new processor upgrade, at what point do Apple update their designs?

Just thinking out loud here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    What do the looks of a computer have to do with the processor it's running?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I think (?) he's saying Apple doesn't issue hardware updates as often as Intel currently offers new chips.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Is it just me, or does Intel upgrade their processors every three to four months? This is something I have noticed for a long time.

The real question is, will Apple be able to make beautiful looking machines to continue to support these upgrades? And if they do adopt each new processor upgrade, at what point do Apple update their designs?

Just thinking out loud here.

Intel usually updates its desktop CPUs every six months or so. The updates usually consist of a higher clock speed at the top of the line with the remaining parts dropping their price. For instance, Intel is reported to be ready to release the quad-core Kentsfield CPU in October. That probably means that while the Core 2 Duo X6800 might continue to be produced and sold at the current prices, a new Core 2 Duo E6800 might be introduced as part of their "mainstream" line and occupy the same spot as the current E6700. The X6800 will still have an advantage because the multiplier is unlocked.

Here's an preview on the quad-core Kentsfield by THG:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...n_the_rampage/
  • Reply 4 of 15
    You think we ll get Kentsfield in October or will we have to wait 3-4 months ?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito

Intel usually updates its desktop CPUs every six months or so. The updates usually consist of a higher clock speed at the top of the line with the remaining parts dropping their price. For instance, Intel is reported to be ready to release the quad-core Kentsfield CPU in October. That probably means that while the Core 2 Duo X6800 might continue to be produced and sold at the current prices, a new Core 2 Duo E6800 might be introduced as part of their "mainstream" line and occupy the same spot as the current E6700. The X6800 will still have an advantage because the multiplier is unlocked.

Here's an preview on the quad-core Kentsfield by THG:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...n_the_rampage/

Kentsfield looks really impressive, however will it ever make it into a Mac?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Seemingly intel quad cores are on the horizon, i know new imacs have just been released, but with apples upgrading track record, how long would it take for them to be introduced do you think? because i would much rather wait a while and get a quad than a couple months and buy the new duals.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD

You think we ll get Kentsfield in October or will we have to wait 3-4 months ?

Isn't Kentsfield shipping November at the very earliest? Doesn't matter anyway, because Apple doesn't have anywhere to put it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danial

Seemingly intel quad cores are on the horizon, i know new imacs have just been released, but with apples upgrading track record, how long would it take for them to be introduced do you think? because i would much rather wait a while and get a quad than a couple months and buy the new duals.

Kentsfield can be used in either a low-end version of a Mac Pro or a brand new design. It will consume twice as much power as Conroe. Apple would have to adopt socket LGA 775 for either Conroe or Kentsfield. Merom, currently inside the iMacs, uses a different socket. Apple has until now bypassed the standard Intel desktop socket.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danial

And that's part of my point. Will Apple use the new chips (new chips in general) as they become available to stay competitive?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

What do the looks of a computer have to do with the processor it's running?

New chips brings new problems for cooling the chips so innovate product design is hard to do.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

New chips brings new problems for cooling the chips so innovate product design is hard to do.

That's not what Feynman would say.

Innovative design is always hard to do... that's why it's innovative.

Power consumption will stay the same unless the entire industry jumps to liquid cooling.

Processors that emit much more than 70 watts will not be accepted by the market that uses air-cooling... as was clearly demontrated with the high end pentium 8XX series and 9XX series.

The quadcore will not penetrate the market until the production process jumps to 45nm size and single-core power managment is enabled. Until then it will exist as a nich processor for applications that require the most power at any cost! Not something that Apple or any other consumer and prosumer computer maker wants to adopt.

I don't see why Apple would be any slower adopting new hardware than any other PC company that uses the same OEM.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Kentsfield (quad 2.6GHz) is slower than the existing Mac Pro (quad 3.0GHz), and not that much cheaper. What's the point?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf

Kentsfield (quad 2.6GHz) is slower than the existing Mac Pro (quad 3.0GHz), and not that much cheaper. What's the point?

They're going to be quite a bit cheaper aren't they? If priced like current core 2 extreme Kentsfield will come in at $1000. One dual core woodcrest(3 ghz) is $800, to get to 4 cores it would be $1600.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

They're going to be quite a bit cheaper aren't they? If priced like current core 2 extreme Kentsfield will come in at $1000. One dual core woodcrest(3 ghz) is $800, to get to 4 cores it would be $1600.

I just checked and you are right; the 2.6GHz Woodcrest is $700, so getting two for $1,000 is quite a deal.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think it makes any difference.

Four out of five Mac models use notebook chips. Any new Intel notebook chip will have to be low enough in power to fit into something like what Apple is making, so it's not going to affect the looks of 80% of Apple's current model line. They might revise the boards more often than they did in parts of the PPC era, but Apple sells enough computers such that the per-computer cost of a redesign remains very low and may be lower than in the PPC era due to much-increased sales if the current trend continues.

The Mac Pro enclosure is large enough to handle anything else that Intel might release so there's no difficulty there.

So, no, I don't think it changes the looks of anything. It might offer Apple more fine-grained opportunities to change case designs though.