Flat Tube HDTV: I Love It!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For a couple of months now I've been thoroughly enjoying my Toshiba 30" flat tube HDTV. Sure it can't show a progressive picture, but since I don't really know what I'm missing (because I've watched interlaced television all my life) I think it's a pretty nice set.

We've got a 32" Sony LCD HDTV at work and I've got to say that I like the picture of my tube set better. It's brighter, looks sharper in a lot of ways, and was less finnicky to set up. Pricewise the tube handily smacks the LCD TV.

In the future I expect that I'll get a bigger flat panel TV for my main screen and relegate the tube to my bedroom or something, but for now I'm very happy with what I got.

What are your thoughts on tube vs. flat panel? Anybody else want to share with your tube HDTV experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well I have a 40" Sony Bravia V series (KDL-40V2000)

Im rather pleased with it.

It also cannot do 1080p, just 1080i and obviously 720p.

However, like you, Ive watched interlaced TV all my life, so I cant tell the difference.

I havent tried it in HD mode yet though 8)

Pros-

1.It is a incredibly sexy TV. And im not just saying that because I spend £2099 on it.

It really must be the best looking TV ive ever seen. And thats ust when its off.

2.It has the ability to freeze the picture, and the ability to play the current broadcast in a small window while the picture is frozen.

3.Picture quality is very good in SD.

But that also depends what resolution the broadcast being recieved is.

4.Many picture options, sound options, and little nobbly bits here and there.

5.HDMI. Obviously

6.Very good sound quality.

7.Can do 1080i and 720p

8.Its a Sony !

9.Good cooling. Apparently. Its on for atleast 12 hours every day, and I have never seen it get incredibly hot. The case just gets a little warm.

10.Oh..its HD

11.Its a LCD. Due to common belief, LCDs are overall better than Plasmas in almost every department.

And other various things, which ive forgotten

Cons-

1.Expensive. £2099 = Roughly $3700

2.Cannot do 1080p

3.X series was released shortly after I brought it, which can do 1080p

4.Stand isnt very sexy, in contrast to the TV itself
  • Reply 1 of 6
    EDIT: Whoops- Double Post
  • Reply 3 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

For a couple of months now I've been thoroughly enjoying my Toshiba 30" flat tube HDTV. Sure it can't show a progressive picture, but since I don't really know what I'm missing (because I've watched interlaced television all my life) I think it's a pretty nice set.

We've got a 32" Sony LCD HDTV at work and I've got to say that I like the picture of my tube set better. It's brighter, looks sharper in a lot of ways, and was less finnicky to set up. Pricewise the tube handily smacks the LCD TV.

In the future I expect that I'll get a bigger flat panel TV for my main screen and relegate the tube to my bedroom or something, but for now I'm very happy with what I got.

What are your thoughts on tube vs. flat panel? Anybody else want to share with your tube HDTV experiences?

My impression is that tubes generally do a better job with standard definition, which is another plus. Since they're not a fixed pixel display they don't have to bother with scaling tricks. I've seen some pretty nice HD flat screens that absolutely butchered SD. And for sure, you can't beat the price.

Having said that, however, the clock is ticking on tubes. They're already commodified, and not going to bet much cheaper, while flat panel prices continue to drop. Once the prices are within spitting distance, the big plusses of flat screen just push CRTs right of the table.

My guess is that LCD will become the "tube" of the industry-- a cheap "old" display that is eclipsed by sexier, more expensive flat screen technologies.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I've noticed the same things about Tube HDTV's. They don't have the same bright crisp picture the LCD's have. But their HD picture is very good. If none of us had ever seen an LCD, or there wasn't one sitting next to the HD tube at the electronics store we'd all be super impressed. It's actually kind of sad they didn't get more of a shelf life. If only they would have been out 6 years ago at the prices they are now.

And you are totally right about SD content. I've seen some of the most expensive LCD TV's look really bad with SD content playing on them. Even with blue-ray and HD-DVD discs. In fact I haven't seen on that has impressed me with SD content. I'm actually pretty disappointed with them if there is anything but broadcast HD playing. The HD tubes however make SD content look great. And since there is so much SD content in the form of DVD's, old VHS tapes and DV cameras it's hard to overlook the tube displays if you have the room for them. Especially with their $400-$500 price tags compared to the LCD's.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    But like I said-

remember, it repends on the signal being broadcast.

If its 480i or 480p, it may be a little crappy.

If its 576i or even better, 576p, the picture may be really good.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I will agree with you guys on many of your points.

It's really interesting, however, the differences between SD broacasts from the various stations here in KC. Our Fox affiliate's local news broadcasts look AWESOME. The picture is clear, the graphics are amazing, and everything is nice. The CBS affiliate's news looks far less as good. I imagine that the Fox station's signal processing is better. It's possible that the Fox station is running SDI natively from all of their stuff while the CBS affiliate is still doing an A/D conversion.