NFL and Apple Offer 2006 NFL Highlights on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The National Football League (NFL) and Apple today announced that they will bring 2006 NFL regular season action to the iTunes Store, offering video downloads of highlights from individual NFL games the day after they are played.

For the first time ever, football fans will be able to download highlights of each NFL regular season game for $1.99 per game, Apple said. Fans may purchase a "Follow Your Team" Season Pass for $24.99 and have game clips from their favorite teams delivered automatically as they become available for viewing on a computer or iPod.

NFL fans will also be able to download NFL Network's NFL GameDay, hosted by Rich Eisen with Steve Mariucci and Deion Sanders. This all-inclusive Sunday night wrap-up show offers the most comprehensive NFL coverage on television, with highlights from every NFL game plus post-game reaction and expert analysis, all for $1.99 per show or $19.99 for a full season.

"We are dedicated to bringing the best of NFL action to NFL fans wherever they are," said Brian Rolapp, NFL vice president of media strategy. "We're convinced offering NFL highlights produced by Emmy Award-winning NFL Films and NFL Network's GameDay on iTunes is a great way for fans to not only follow their team but also experience the NFL as they never have before."

"We're thrilled to bring all the top action from the 2006 NFL season to football fans via iTunes," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "With approximately ten minutes of game highlights from every NFL game, NFL fans will be able to download exclusive highlights that give a unique perspective of each game."

Beginning September 18 and on each Monday thereafter during the regular season, fans will be able to download extensive action from Sunday games on iTunes for $1.99 per game, with Monday night games available on Tuesday. The $24.99 "Follow Your Team" Season Pass allows fans to select any of the 32 NFL teams and have game highlights from each of their 16 games automatically downloaded when they become available the following day. All Week 1 NFL game downloads become available on iTunes on September 18.

The iTunes Store now features over 3.5 million songs, 65,000 podcasts, 20,000 audiobooks, over 5,000 music videos and 220 television shows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Not my thing, but as it's sports, it'll do well.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I think it's a good idea. I'd love for them to team up with the NFL to offer entire games. Highlights are cool, but for us real fans, we need the entire game.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

I think it's a good idea. I'd love for them to team up with the NFL to offer entire games. Highlights are cool, but for us real fans, we need the entire game.

It would take too long.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Yeah, it would take too long to download (and watch) but it would be awesome to be able to download all XL superbowls and watch them on your iPod. Full length concerts would be a great idea too.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    not much longer than the movies they want you to download...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    that's right. without commercials, an NFL game should last less than 2 hours. all 4 quarters and whatever they take between plays.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    can anyone actually find the NFL highlight shows on iTunes? I searched for "NFL" and couldn't find them.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Desparately seeking content.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It would take too long.

Not really, Directv does a replay on Monday of all the sunday ticket games sans commercials, halftimes, huddles, time outs, and any non-game play stuff is cut out, they can do this and still show every down and not break the proverbial bank.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

can anyone actually find the NFL highlight shows on iTunes? I searched for "NFL" and couldn't find them.

Starts Sept 18. sorry, no Manning Bowl keepsake for the ipod
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Not really, Directv does a replay on Monday of all the sunday ticket games sans commercials, halftimes, huddles, time outs, and any non-game play stuff is cut out, they can do this and still show every down and not break the proverbial bank.

But, that's not an internet download.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

But, that's not an internet download.

It would only be an hour long, 4 15 minute quarters: that is not too long, Lost is an hour long and they make plenty of money on that: besides, the bandwidth differance isnt too much to break the bank: Apple buysw bandwidth, Directv has ~6 satalites in orbit, both are huge expences.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Starts Sept 18. sorry, no Manning Bowl keepsake for the ipod

GYAARRRRRGH! Damn you Apple! I am ready for some football!
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Get Us Baseball!!!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

Get Us Baseball!!!

baseball sucks.<ducks>

The real reason you will never see this is that MLBTV.com is so friggen big and MLB gets every penny of that money, they wouldnt dare canabalize it and share profits with others at this point in the game (pun intended)

Truth be told, Selige is the only boss in the entertainment industtry that really seems to get technology, building MLBTV even before iTms, let alone Itunes TV he and the MLB seem to embrase tech, they are everywhere, internet, mobile, satalite radio, ca/sat tv, print, everywhere. .
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

It would only be an hour long, 4 15 minute quarters: that is not too long, Lost is an hour long and they make plenty of money on that: besides, the bandwidth differance isnt too much to break the bank: Apple buysw bandwidth, Directv has ~6 satalites in orbit, both are huge expences.

That's true, but just showing the 15 minute quarters takes much longer than 15 minutes apiece. A quarter, you will realise if you watch football, is measured only by the actual play time. But the play time can easily be half the time of the quarter. so many games are easily 2 hours long. That doesn't include the commentary, or for some games, the halftime show, which many people might want as well (for bowl games, etc.).
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

baseball sucks.<ducks>

The real reason you will never see this is that MLBTV.com is so friggen big and MLB gets every penny of that money, they wouldnt dare canabalize it and share profits with others at this point in the game (pun intended)

Truth be told, Selige is the only boss in the entertainment industtry that really seems to get technology, building MLBTV even before iTms, let alone Itunes TV he and the MLB seem to embrase tech, they are everywhere, internet, mobile, satalite radio, ca/sat tv, print, everywhere. .

I MUCH prefer baseball to football. But baseball games are undeterminate in their time, and some can be very long indeed.

Of course, baseball games these days are slowed down by the long commercial breaks as well. That was not true earlier. But now, with those long commercials, even in the ballpark, we have to wait until they are finished before the game resumes. At least that could be cut out.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

That's true, but just showing the 15 minute quarters takes much longer than 15 minutes apiece. A quarter, you will realise if you watch football, is measured only by the actual play time. But the play time can easily be half the time of the quarter. so many games are easily 2 hours long. That doesn't include the commentary, or for some games, the halftime show, which many people might want as well (for bowl games, etc.).

Melgross, you're missing the point. DirectTV advertises this. They take out everything but the actual gameplay (in other, when teams are in the huddle and time is actually running off the clock) and the game only takes about 30 minutes to view, and you see every single play.

That would be one sweet iTunes download. I'd gladly shell out $24.95 for a season pass of that for my favorite team. hell, I'd probably shell out $50.

Edit - Maybe I missed your point too, but I still think being able to download every single play of a game off of iTunes would be sweet, and sell like gangbusters.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    I might buy the Superbowl versions of the games, but I'd have to have the commercials also.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Melgross, you're missing the point. DirectTV advertises this. They take out everything but the actual gameplay (in other, when teams are in the huddle and time is actually running off the clock) and the game only takes about 30 minutes to view, and you see every single play.

That would be one sweet iTunes download. I'd gladly shell out $24.95 for a season pass of that for my favorite team. hell, I'd probably shell out $50.

Edit - Maybe I missed your point too, but I still think being able to download every single play of a game off of iTunes would be sweet, and sell like gangbusters.

I do understand what you are saying. Just sell the gameplay. But, I find that to be unsatisfactory. Without the commentary by the announcers, most of the time you won't have any idea as to what's going on. Why was play stopped? Who received a penalty, and how much. Who's in the game, and who's out, and why. Etc. I really don't know how they do that, and make it interesting, and useful.

I'm not saying that they can't, but I just don't see how. I want to watch the entire quarter, officials waving flags and all.