Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced iTunes 7, the most significant enhancement to the its music jukebox and online music and video store since it debuted in 2001. It also preview its much anticipated iTV set-top box / wireless video streaming device due out in the first quarter of 2007.

iTunes 7 delivers new features such as the new album and Cover Flow views of music, TV shows and movies, enabling users to quickly find titles in their library as well as casually browse through and re-discover titles they already own. In addition, the iTunes Store is now offering over 75 movies from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films, that customers can purchase and download to watch on their computers and iPods, and soon on their flat screen televisions with Apple's upcoming $299 iTV* player.

Movies will become available on the iTunes Store the same day they are released on DVD, with new releases priced at $12.99 when pre-ordered and during their first week of availability, and $14.99 thereafter, and library titles available for just $9.99 every day.

"Here we go again! First music, then TV shows, and now movies," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "In less than one year we've grown from offering just five TV shows to offering over 220 TV shows, and we hope to do the same with movies. iTunes is selling over one million videos a week, and we hope to match this with movies in less than a year."

"ABC and Disney Channel were the first networks to offer television programming on iTunes, and we're once again breaking new ground as The Walt Disney Studios becomes the first to debut feature films on the iTunes platform," said Robert Iger, president and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. "Disney is committed to providing innovative ways for audiences to enjoy their favorite entertainment content, and our association with Apple is yet another example of how we continue to reach consumers on their terms, regardless the time, location or device."

The iTunes Store has quickly become the world's most popular video download store, selling over one million videos per week.It began selling TV shows with five shows from ABC/Disney less than a year ago, in October 2005, and rapidly expanded its library to over 220 television shows from over 40 networks today. The iTunes Store also features the world's largest catalog of online music with over 3.5 million songs and has sold a stunning 1.5 billion songs, making it the world's most popular digital music store.

The iTunes Store now features new releases and library titles from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films, such as "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," "Shakespeare in Love," "The Princess Diaries," "The Incredibles," "National Treasure," "Toy Story," "The Rock" and "The Rookie." Customers can purchase and download movies from iTunes the same day they become available on DVD, or pre-order upcoming movies which are automatically downloaded when they become available. Customers get the same one-click download experience for movies that they enjoy with music and TV shows.

With iTunes 7, all videos purchased from the iTunes Store are downloaded in near-DVD quality at a resolution of 640x480 (up to 480, depending on the aspect ratio), which is four times higher than before. Downloaded videos can be played on computers and iPods. iTunes 7 also includes new features to better organize and enjoy digital music and video, including expanded parental controls, an iTunes video playback window with on-screen controls, and the new Cover Flow view that lets you visually browse your entire video collection by cover artwork.

The iTunes Store now also offers downloads of popular video games for fifth generation iPods, including "Tetris," "Mahjong" and "Mini Golf" from Electronic Arts Inc.; "Pac-Man" from Namco Networks America Inc.; "Cubis 2" from FreshGames, LLC; "Bejeweled" and "Zuma" from PopCap Games, Inc.; "Texas Hold'em" and "Vortex" developed by Apple, all available beginning today for $4.99 each.

Pricing & Availability

iTunes 7 for Mac and Windows includes the iTunes Store and is available as a free download immediately from iTunes.com. Purchase and download of content from the iTunes Store for Mac or Windows requires a valid credit card with a billing address in the country of purchase. Television shows and feature films are available in the US only, and video availability varies by country. Games are available for download in the 21 countries in which iTunes operates and play on the fifth generation iPod. New release feature films are $14.99 (US) each and other feature-length films are $9.99 (US) each, television shows are $1.99 (US) per episode, music videos and short films are $1.99 (US) each and games are $4.99 (US) each.

* iTV is the project's internal code name and will not be the final product name.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 144
    first post, bwahahahahah!
  • Reply 2 of 144
    but seriously, the updates seem pretty decent, though not as awesome as I was hoping. It's interesting to note that Apple still says the iPod is 5G - this is only a minor update. Could the "real" iPod update be closer to the release of Zune???
  • Reply 3 of 144
    darn, I wanted to be first!

Is anyone noticing a severe lag in the load times for the album art/ movie art in Cover Flow?

My Cover Flow application never has this problem. I assume, or hope that apple bought the rights from the people who make Cover Flow, so why is it not working as well as the standalone application?
  • Reply 4 of 144
    Disappointing!
  • Reply 5 of 144
    Disappointing! Don't even want to talk about movies and ipods. But the iTV ist just nothing. Go buy yourself Elgato Eye TV. It can do more and its already available!
  • Reply 6 of 144
    Nice new interface in iTunes 7. But dang, the whole gapless playback scan takes for frickin ever! (7500+ songs).
  • Reply 7 of 144
    I never thought Apple would ditch the iTunes Green Music Note for PURPLE again!

At any rate, iTV is a step in the right direction. What is missing is DVR and an small internal HD for recording the video.

I am a bit underwhelmed by iTMS videos at 640x480 -- that seems pretty poor quality to me...

The new iPod nanos are cool, but I'm thinking they are not as classy as the old iPod nano.

I was really hoping (but didn't expect it at all) for new Cinema Display because I am ordering my MacPro and Cinema display today. Boo Hoo, I know they will come out WWDC, but I really can't wait that long for my new comp.
  • Reply 8 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I never thought Apple would ditch the iTunes Green Music Note for PURPLE again!

it's blue
  • Reply 9 of 144
    yer i dnt like da blue icon, i dnt like da album cover/movie thingy, i dnt like it. is there gunna ba an ipod update den?
  • Reply 10 of 144
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rarity

Disappointing! Don't even want to talk about movies and ipods.

Then I can see how a movies and iPods event would dissapoint you

Re 640x480 quality: that's just under DVD, and matches standard-definition TV. This is GREAT for TV shows. The movie thing is a step into a new area--which doesn't interest me now, but it's a start. That's all I expected from it. Just like how TV shows on iTunes first began, you have to start somewhere.
  • Reply 11 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I am a bit underwhelmed by iTMS videos at 640x480 -- that seems pretty poor quality to me...

The new iPod nanos are cool, but I'm thinking they are not as classy as the old iPod nano.

640x480 - I think it's a tradeoff between quality and speed. It'd take hours to download a movie in HD.

nanos - sure looks like an iPod mini flashback...
  • Reply 12 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

darn, I wanted to be first!

Is anyone noticing a severe lag in the load times for the album art/ movie art in Cover Flow?

My Cover Flow application never has this problem. I assume, or hope that apple bought the rights from the people who make Cover Flow, so why is it not working as well as the standalone application?

I think that is due to it caching the album art to begin with, I assume its faster after it has cached the album art properly

Gapless playback FOR THE WIN YAY, and free album art is definitely a good bonus, thanks Apple!

Jan
  • Reply 13 of 144
    Try having 22,000 songs...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle

Nice new interface in iTunes 7. But dang, the whole gapless playback scan takes for frickin ever! (7500+ songs).

Also, I like that the library is now broken up and seperated from TV shows, movies, podcasts and audio books... However, I have to still hunt for Music Videos.. Was this an oversight??

MiniStore button is gone but you still can enable it from the drop down menus (not that I ever used it).. I almost thought they removed it completely!!

There's new sort features including a "skip". I'm not sure what it does, I can't get it to show anything.

Christopher Powers
  • Reply 14 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

640x480 -- that seems pretty poor quality to me..

No its not. You are not watching the full 720x480 on your television. For one 720 is not all picture information. After signal processing 640 is about what you are realistically watching on broadcast television.

DVD is extremely highly compressed. Partly what makes DVD look so good is that broadcast television looks so bad. The other part is color correction and sharpening hide the lack of actual picture detail.
  • Reply 15 of 144
    just updated.... itunes vizualizer gone??? covers in coverflow have ugly black line through them from top left to bottom right.... still cant put a picture/album art in where you save radio links....

oh im now missing four album purchases! gone poof! wtf how do i uninstall this horrid update?

music video previews and movie previews now do not work in the store.

is this because i have panther still?

IM PISSED FUCK NOT HAVING A WIDESCREEN IPOD I GOT SERIOUS PROBLEMS HERE.

WE NEED CRM CUSTOMER RIGHTS MANAGEMENT...

if you lose songs or albums you should be able to re download them,like some of the other stores are doing JIMITY christmas sh*t F*ck.. CMON APPLE!

AND IF MIRAMAX IS ON THE STORE WHERE IS PULP FICTION AND KILL BILL?

• Reply 16 of 144
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Well, in this day and age 640x480 4:3 is really not acceptable. It's fine as a middle option but there should be something better available. So many people are buying 1280x720 and 1920x1080 HDTV sets these days and there are a lot of TV shows broadcast in widescreen HD. At least offer a native widescreen DVD quality option. Sheesh. This isn't 2003. Get with the times Apple. I'm not paying $9.99 or more to watch a movie full screen. Do they even sell DVDs that way any more? Of course they still haven't introduced a widescreen video iPod so I guess it's a moot point anyway.

The new iPod nano and shuffle models look nice. Interesting to see the iTV will have HDMI and component video in light of the outdated 640x480 4:3 video resolution announced today. I don't know what to make of that. Knowing Apple it will be used only to watch Quicktime movie trailers.
  • Reply 17 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs

I think that is due to it caching the album art to begin with, I assume its faster after it has cached the album art properly

Gapless playback FOR THE WIN YAY, and free album art is definitely a good bonus, thanks Apple!

Jan

I think I figured it out. My movie files where it doesn't normally have art, and iTunes puts the image of a few frames into the file. Those are the files that are slow to load a thumbnail in Cover Flow. My music/movies with images assigned to them seem to be cached better. go figure.
  • Reply 18 of 144
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

?You can take a movie, download it to a computer, put it on your ipod. But what about that big flat screen TV you just bought?? asked Jobs. [snip]

The box is driven by software that carries a distant resemblance to Front Row, the multimedia control application Apple bundles with newer Macs.[snip]

?Pretty cool, huh? These are the same files, same exact files, playing on my iPod, my computer and my flat screen TV,? said Jobs.

Muahahahahaha! Steve's been reading my posts! (Steve, if you really want to hire me, just let me know.)

"Take a move, download it" = ripping HDDVDs/BDs in iTunes 7.1, choosing what resolution and bitrate (size).

software = Front Row 2.0

Delay until Q1 2007 = part of iLife 07

Also, it looks like the "iTV" thing is able to "upscale" video quality, just like the current crop of HDTV-ready DVD players.

8)
  • Reply 19 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

first post, bwahahahahah!

Why don't SAY something in the post?
  • Reply 20 of 144
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I <3 Apple! Better iTunes UI and the floaty controller during fullscreen mode. Yay^2!!!

Disappointing:

1) no widescreen iPod, probably January, if ever.

2) near-DVD quality movies for $9-$14 Damn you, Hollywood studios, damn you!

Surprises:

1) The 2G shuffle. Itty-bitty!

2) Steve talks about future hardware

3) iPod games (for $5 is a disappointment)

Overall grade: B-