G4 733 is equivilent to what in the PC world?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just curious what my computer in my signature is, in relationship to the PC world. I just wanted a MAC to try. It seems nice and fast for internet and the basics, but is there any potential to this system? The fact that it uses SDRAM is the scary part.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It depends, this Mac (not MAC) could have several different amounts of cache and bus speeds. I'd imagine it's around a 1Ghz Pentium 3. If you could give us some more information we could get a better estimate.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well, it is the system in my sig. It has 256k L2 Cache and no L3. The bus speed is 133MHz. I could not find a dual 1GHz in my pricerange.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    It is one of the Slower G4 systems, due to it's lack of L2 cache. But should run fine for internet and small games. If you need power, I'd sell this system I'm sure you can get $300-$500 for it, And buy a Mac mini.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Could I just get a 1GHz dual cpu and stick it in? I hear the MB is the same.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    No. Also a compatible upgrade CPU would cost ~$300-$400 alone.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    There's no real point in upgrading, since you can get minis so darn cheap. For whatever reason, though, the resale value of a mac is generally very high. So eBay is your friend.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    if you want a fast cheap mac go for the dual 1.4 multi drive door mac with big L3 cache its pretty darn fast and u can put a decent graphics card in it.