Do the Apple shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK, let's talk a bit about the underappreciated underachiever of the iPod class... the iPod shuffle.

New design - smaller, lighter, aluminum body (looks like a money clip), better switches (?)

Possible problem areas - Recharging via tiny dock, how do you get a protective sweatproof case on this thing, how strong is the spring in the clip and what are the odds of either the spring or the clip breaking off during normal use...

What are your comments? I plan on getting one simply because I love to wear my current shuffle while running, and I like the idea of smaller and lighter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have a Nano+Nike for exercising. I have a 5g for everything else.

I'm still going to buy one of these things. Why? For $80, why not?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I plan on buying one as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Gonna buy one too
  • Reply 4 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I really liked the old formfactor, I would've loved to see that shrunk down width wise because I love having a 750data/250 podcast thumb drive...oh well...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    We were chatting at work yesterday and I think the quote of the hour was "Apple just increased the average basket dollars for a stocking stuffer to $80."

Any kid that wants an iPod this holiday season is going to see this show up - and that's great for the younger crowd as well.

First: Their parents get an inexpensive version of the iPod that's less likely to scratch or break than the nano and comes with a few accessories built in.

Secondly: these accessories get the kids into the "iPod Economy mentality(tm)" - essentially, that the accessories are available - go buy them!

Third: Couple with iTunes it's another great Trojan horse. Try resizing coverflow view on a Mac, then do it on a PC - the Mac resizes smoothly (something we're used to with full screen quicktime and the like, whereas the PC has that typical Windows-moving/resizing-stutter. "Mommy, why is our computer so sloooooow?"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw

We were chatting at work yesterday and I think the quote of the hour was "Apple just increased the average basket dollars for a stocking stuffer to $80."

Any kid that wants an iPod this holiday season is going to see this show up - and that's great for the younger crowd as well.

First: Their parents get an inexpensive version of the iPod that's less likely to scratch or break than the nano and comes with a few accessories built in.

Secondly: these accessories get the kids into the "iPod Economy mentality(tm)" - essentially, that the accessories are available - go buy them!

Third: Couple with iTunes it's another great Trojan horse. Try resizing coverflow view on a Mac, then do it on a PC - the Mac resizes smoothly (something we're used to with full screen quicktime and the like, whereas the PC has that typical Windows-moving/resizing-stutter. "Mommy, why is our computer so sloooooow?"

Actually, on my stepdad's PIII, coverflow works pretty smoothly. Any other kind of scrolling whatsoever through iTunes is unbearably slow.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I would get one just because it is so portable. I could just clip it to my belt, put in the headphones, press play, and boom music for the day.

I have a playlist of about 40 songs that I listen to on random all day, so this would be perfect for me.

( get a shuffle and a 80gb ipod video ) boom I am set. for $500 I could get both plus a case and av connector for iPod Video. ( ok maybe alittle over $500 ) but still a great deal.