iTunes 7 playback choppy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I hope someone can help me. I recently upgraded to the new iTunes 7 and i love all the cool features but i am having trouble with the playback. The playback is very choppy almost as if the computer cannot keep up.

When i originally upgraded i didn't do the quicktime upgrade because i didn't want to restart. I thought that may be the problem so i upgraded but it didn't help.

I do not have a lot running. All i had was Adium, Thunderbird and Safari (and obviously iTunes) so i tried closing all of them but that didn't help either. Using MenuMeters, i can see that the CPU usage is consistently below 50% so that shouldn't be a problem.

I by no means have the latest computer but it isn't exactly underpowered. it is the 12" PowerBook 1Ghz with 768 ram. I never had a problem with previous versions of itunes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

-Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I am having the same problem--

I think it has to do with some change in preparation to stream video--

They will probaly put in a patch

I tune6 works a lot better
  • Reply 2 of 24
    iTunes version X.0 is always buggy. You have to wait for X.0.1 or X.0.2 for most of the bugs to be shaken out.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    so how long do you think we will be waiting?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101

so how long do you think we will be waiting?

I have no idea, but one thing I just discovered, at least with the PC version of iTunes 7, is that Coverflow chews up enormous amounts of RAM if you've got a large collection of music. I can easily see how playback could get choppy if iTunes ends of eating up lots of RAM and causes your PC to spend too much time page swapping virtual memory.

As for me, I'm just forging ahead, bugs and all. I'm fixing up my whole collection to take advantage of gapless playback and the new "Album Artist" field, so there will be no going back for me.

I'll have to see if Coverflow works better on my Mac when I get back home, or if I should avoid using it there for now too.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    You're not the only on experiencing this. iTunes 7 SUCKS!!! (speed wise that is...) There, I said it. The speed is criminally slow in almost every asepct, and movie playback is almost unusable

(btw, I'm on a dual 2GHz G5 with 3 GB RAM, so it should play fine, but it doesn't. Also scrolling and basic navigation is slow and iTunes constantly uses about 20% CPU when idle. And this is after updating the itunes library and what else it automatically did upon upgrading)
  • Reply 6 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iTunes 7 is fine. The speed, especially of movie playback, is a whole lot better than in 6.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I have to admit, I haven't had any problems with my iTunes7 install. I am on an iMac G5 2.0GHz with 2GB of RAM. It is actually FUN again.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    My problem. the difficulty in streaming audio to my stereo using Airport Express---from an MP3 source radio station (WCPE)---never existed until I upgraded to itunes7

It doesn't exist using itunes 6 from my wife's computer---so..............

It must be related to the new itunes---
  • Reply 9 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I noticed that streaming videos from iTunes->iTunes has slowed down from no choppy to choppy.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    iBook 1.42GHz G4 with 1GB RAM. Library is nearly 3000 songs with music videos and TV shows. No problems so far with music or video playback. Maybe just the windows version?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Both MacBook and Intel iMac run iTunes very fast. Movies are much smoother than with any other version of iTunes. Interesting, the wide range of experiences. Hmmm?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I'm having stuttering music as well, on a PC though, but only occasionally. Also, coverflow is quite laggy using the scroll wheel, but if you hold the scroll bar, and drag it, the quality isn't too bad. (btw, specs are very high).
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Im having no prorblems with iTunes 7 on either my MacBook, Mac Mini and iMac G5.

Loving the new CoverFlow feature!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    It would seem that people with smaller music collections do not suffer the same slowdowns?

I've got over 20,000 songs in the collection, but that did not cause any noticeable slowdowns with version 6.x
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Just downloaded the free season finale of Lost, and it's almost laggy enough to be unwatchable.

I think it's a problem in the quicktime update, though??I downloaded the smallest Apocalypto HD trailer and it too was unwatchable. This is on a 1.67 PB w/ 1.5 GB ram. Before the update I could watch small HD movies with hardly any lag.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Both my gf's pc and my pc are having the same issues (completely different environments as well). When she plays wow with itunes... it's chopping bad. Soon as you shut off WoW's sound it's fine. Mine does it when I get the dreaded windows updates popup in the bottom right or I get other apps running.

I would run it on my mac but it's a laptop and I put it through enough hell since it's my main work machine. It kinda sucks that 7.0 is like this. Hopefully they fix these problems soon!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    iTunes analyzed my entire library when I ran it after installation. That caused performance slow downs. Performance returned to normal after it finished whatever it was doing.

p.s> I love the new interface!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I get occassional choppiness. I stop the tune and then press play again, seems to fix it. This is on an old PC laptop. Coverflow also broken, see separate discussion if you are having Coverflow "weird diagonal lines" issues on PC:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....38205&tstart=0
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

iTunes analyzed my entire library when I ran it after installation. That caused performance slow downs. Performance returned to normal after it finished whatever it was doing.

p.s> I love the new interface!

Mine also analyzed the library but it was finished when i was having the problems. I hope apple fixes it soon. I really like the new interface but i would rather be able to play my music.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Let me update my post. While playback of video is quite excellent, the iTunes software itself is quite buggy. It hangs and crashes whenever I connect my 5G iPod and when waking from sleep.