Audio CD issue with new macbook + other unrelated questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a macbook the other day. It's my first Apple computer, and I'm trying to like it but there is always an issue that stops me from enjoying it. I guess this is what I get for keeping the 512 megs of ram and not upgrading to at least a gig.

Anyways, one of the newest issues I'm having that I know can't be ram related is this one:

I have a lot of audio cds, and I want to rip them using itunes so that I can put them on my ipod nano. Now, I started ripping a few, and then suddenly some discs would not want to be read.

I would put the disc in the drive (a superdrive for those interested) and it would read it for a while and then would promptly eject the disc. With these albums I have no chance of ripping them, let alone listening to them.

I just put the disc in and about 10 seconds later it ejects.

At first I thought it was copy protection, but too many discs are being ejected, and some are from the same record label as others than worked, so I really doubt it's copy protection.

This is just pissing me off. I mean what the hell is this? What kind of shitty drive can't even read a simple audio disc? I really don't feel like having to rip my music on another computer every time, it's just a big hastle. You buy a new computer and you expect it to work, you expect it to do simple tasks such as play audio cds. As things stand, I can't even watch a video in Safari and chat on msn at the same time. As soon as the the safari window is not the one "selected" the video gets all choppy. Even the oldest laptop in the world should be able to handle such a simple task as that.

Is there any way to fix this issue of the audio discs? Firmware upgrade or something... I dunno, anything. I'd really apreciate it. Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Also, I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to stream the Nullsoft video codec on a mac? The videos you would stream with winamp, I think they are .nvu or .nvs or something. My life practically depends on this

2) Alternatively, is there a way to make websites that use active x to open a program work on a mac. I have a korean site that uses active x to open its own streaming video program, and I need this badly about once a month or so. I think getting nullsoft to work would be easier though

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Can you describe the CDs in question a little bit?

Are they original ones, are they ripped and copied ones?

If they have been ripped previously, what App and codec respectively

did he/she/you use? Just an idea to start with.

Regarding the few questions on the bottom of your post.

I just got a hunch, are you sure the Mac is the right platform for you?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    They are original music cds that were purchased at a store. I just don't understand why the superdrive can't read them.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure mac is the right platform for me. I use this computer for many other things than ripping audio cds and watching streaming video. I still would like to be able to do those two things if possible, that's why I asked
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCoffea

They are original music cds that were purchased at a store. I just don't understand why the superdrive can't read them.

First, what quantity are we talking about? 5 of 1000? Maybe an acceptable ratio.

10 of 100 would be unacceptable of course. Sorry to say this, but it could be

a hardware issue, too. Do you have any other problems regarding this drive?

Quote:

And yeah, I'm pretty sure mac is the right platform for me. I use this computer for many other things than ripping audio cds and watching streaming video. I still would like to be able to do those two things if possible, that's why I asked

Hey come on, one can ask, no? You've come over like someone, who were not

entirely satisfied.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I was only able to rip 6 cds out of the ~20 cds i tried so far. Many come from different labels and stuff, so I doubt it's copy protection.

And yeah, I got the mac to do a bunch of stuff, and it works well, I'm just mad I didn't take more ram cause it's very choppy and slow. With my one year old windows pc, I have 512 and it runs smooth as butter, so I figured I'd be ok here as well. Then after I purchased it I realized the graphics are onboard and that many programs I'll be using havn't even been optimized for intel based macs yet, so that's why its running pretty slow I guess. I'll just need to get more ram

But the cd drive has nothing to do with ram, that's why I made this thread. And the video streaming is only to watch certain fight events from Japan when they happen. It's only about once a month or so, but it would be nice if I could get it to work cause watching them on the couch with my macbook would be much better than watching it on a computer chair
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Well i'm not sure if this helps much, but it sounds like the codec that you need will run on older PPC based Macs but not the newer Intel based systems. At least that's what i've gathered from this forum on Winamp's Website.

As far as RAM goes, it sounds like you already know that you need more. And while 512 may run "ok" on a PC is still doesn't cut it on that OS either. I have a GB of ram in my PC laptop simply because XP needed that much to do the things I want. For instance, if I wanted to play PC games, no way 512 is going to cut it today. So why expect a Mac to be any different, especially when everything is graphically so much better? Just go to Crucial, spend the $90 or so to take it to 1gb, and your that much better off.

Considering I ripped all of my CD's years ago and only buy my music online now, I can't offer much help with the CD ripping problem. In all honesty though, it sounds like a hardware problem. An easy test would be to have a friend, preferrably a friend with a Mac or at least iTunes, try to rip the CD on their system. If it works on theirs, and doesn't on yours, you have your answer. Just make sure you use one that is failing on yours, otherwise he's just getting free music from you.

Good luck man, and keep us posted. We're here to help!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The only suggestion that springs to mind wrt to those CDs is to try checking that they are dirty or scratched... But I'm sure you have already done that. I don't have a macbook, but the drive on my mac mini has never displayed this type of behaviour - and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else I know with a mac. If I was you I'd take it back to the shop you bought it (or the nearest apple store if you bought it online) and show them the drive spitting out the cds. If there is a problem with the drive being faulty they will at least install a new drive, or possibly just give you a new macbook. The reason I say to do this, is that this problem is an indication that there might be a hardware fault - and it would be a lot better to get it sorted sooner rather than at a later date.

As far as RAM goes you definately need more. This is because the graphics processor has no dedicated RAM, and will eat into your 512. 1 gb should be fine. Unfortuneatly, you have to have matching pairs due to the nature of the graphics processor- so you'll need to buy 2 512 mb sticks I think (could someone confirm?). XP uses less RAM than osX imho (although osX makes better use of it), but you can free up RAM in osX by disabling dashboard if you do not need it running, as it uses quite a lot of RAM (google it).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This isn't about codecs or RAM, folks.

Does your Superdrive read data CDs and boot CDs/DVDs correctly?

You might have a bad Superdrive. It happens. If so, Apple will make it right.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

You might have a bad Superdrive. It happens.

Actually, that was my second suggestion, but the poster just ignored that possibility

while all other posters came up with just exactly that possibility. Well.

Btw right now i am pretty sure the Superdrive is somewhat broken.

There is no other explanation to that oddity so far.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Umm he mentioned more than just his cd ripping...folks.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Ok, by installing parallels with some stripped down version of xp, I was able to fix my streaming video problem and am very happy

About the superdrive, well, I might have a faulty one. So far it has read every blank disc, every dvd, and every data cd I've thrown at it, it just seems to spit out audio cds

I will call my apple store for now. It would just suck to have to get it repaired or exchanged right away after I've spent a week tweaking the OS to my liking

Have there been any firmware upgrades for the superdrive? Maybe that might fix something
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCoffea

About the superdrive, well, I might have a faulty one. So far it has read every blank disc, every dvd, and every data cd I've thrown at it, it just seems to spit out audio cds

I will call my apple store for now.

Sorry to hear that. Anyway, it seems to be a pretty rare oddity actually.

Btw, did you perform an Hardware Test? This Software that comes

with your installer DVD performs some basic ...well... hardware tests, such

as ... well ... opticals, Ram, HD etc. To perform this test, insert the installer dvd,

reboot the computer, hold down the ALT-key. After a while (and it can take a while

at least on older computers) a kinda dialog is printed on the screen that gives

you the choice either to mount the system or to perform the Hardware Test. Click on

Hardware Test. Go ahead. Follow further instructions on screen. Maybe that helps.