Firewire HDD stopped mounting, shows up in profiler...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm running a G4 1ghz 12" iBook w/ OS X 10.3.9 installed. I have all current updates.

I am using an external firewire drive enclosure with an 80 gig maxtor HDD, where I keep all of my essential data. It was working fine until it just vanished off my desktop yesterday as I was updating my iPod (my iTunes library is on this drive, as well). I first checked my port, which is fine, rebooted a couple times, switched my FW cable, reset the drive a few times... nothing.

I go into Disk Utility and it appears (as it does in system profiler), but is greyed out (unmounted). When I click Mount, nothing happens. I can click it over and over and the drive doesn't mount.

When I run Repair / Verify I get this message:

Repairing disk for ?Secondary?

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Invalid key length

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume

\t0 HFS volumes repaired

\t1 volume could not be repaired

---

In terminal, I attempted to find it so I could manually fsck it. Here is my log:

XXXX-Computer:~ rob$ mount

/dev/disk0s3 on / (local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (local)

fdesc on /dev (union)

<volfs> on /.vol

automount -nsl [295] on /Network (automounted)

automount -fstab [306] on /automount/Servers (automounted)

automount -static [306] on /automount/static (automounted)

XXXX-Computer:~ rob$ df

Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on

/dev/disk0s3 58342896 30549360 27281536 53% /

devfs 180 180 0 100% /dev

fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev

<volfs> 1024 1024 0 100% /.vol

automount -nsl [295] 0 0 0 100% /Network

automount -fstab [306] 0 0 0 100% /automount/Servers

automount -static [306] 0 0 0 100% /automount/static

---

I don't see it on there, and can't figure out what to do. I really need this data! Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I had a similar problem a month or so ago, and the only thing I was able to do was to format it on my windows system. After that it showed back up on my Powerbook and all was well. Granted, I lost ALL of my data. But at least the hard drive is functional again.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm having the exact same problem as the post starter, with my LaCie 160gb external fw drive. It shows up in the disk utility, but I can't mount it.

I've spent the last week importing all my CDs into iTunes on this drive, and I really can't imagine the hell of starting over!!!! Someone with a fix please help!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    When a FW drive of mine went south due to a bridge board failure, it wouldn't mount in another enclosure. Data Rescue was able to see the data on the drive, though.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timo

When a FW drive of mine went south due to a bridge board failure, it wouldn't mount in another enclosure. Data Rescue was able to see the data on the drive, though.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

looks like this might be a solution, but i'm looking for a free one -- this looks to cost about $100, looks like i'll be reimporting to a new drive.