MacPro RAM, Aperture

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
1) Where would someone recomend I get MacPro RAM?

2) On the Apeture website it says this under system specs:

"1GB of RAM (2GB required for Mac Pro)"

I ordered my computer with only 1 GB because I spent the money on the ATI XT1900 XT card instead. I originally pre-ordered this with Aperture (so obviously it installs, (dosn't it?). Because of the Sept 25 pre-photokina event I changed the order to not include the Aperture pre-installed so I could order an update if there was one. My question is, does the Mac Pro really need 2GB of RAM to run Aperture, or is this a typo, or is this just bull shit? Will my Graphics Card Performance make up for the 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB? Has anybody installed Aperture on a MacPro with 1 GB?

I need the info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm sure there's a way around it. It should run okay with less RAM, it works fine on my MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'm pretty sure that the installer script contains a check for system specs and may not let you continue with the install if you have less than the specified 2GB. I'm sure that someone will come up with a hack to bypass it though.

I buy my RAM in only 2 places: Crucial or OWC (macsales.com). I've never had a problem either place. They are both more expensive than the "discount" RAM vendors but that "peace of mind" is worth it to me.

I've got 4GB of RAM in my Mac Pro but all from Apple. I used my ADC discount so the RAM upgrade was no more expensive than buying it from either Crucial or OWC.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

1) Where would someone recomend I get MacPro RAM?

I bought from Crucial, 2x512 for $200. My advice would be to check in with them daily, as the price was up and down a couple weeks ago - actually, more in the up direction ($299).

Delivery was quick, and the heat sinks look pretty substantial. As an aside, they came in a box the size of a thick large pizza box! What a waste.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I have a quad 2.0 Mac Pro with the ATI card and 2 GB of ram. Aperture is sluggish. You'll want at least that much.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai51240

...Aperture is sluggish...

Sheesh, that's really surprising. Hopefully the new version they're rumored to be releasing on the 24/25th will improve the performance, much like some of the boosts iPhoto saw from iLife '05 to '06.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    When the Pros first hit the Apple Store (1GB apiece), I tried them out - just opening Aperture with the factory library crapped the computer. Spinning beach ball of death, me quietly walking off from the machine...

Came back a few weeks later, the Pros now have 2GB apiece and no Aperture.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I have a quad 2.0 Mac Pro with the ATI card and 2 GB of ram. Aperture is sluggish. You'll want at least that much.

I disagree. I have the same setup and it is anything but sluggish. I'm working with 8 MP RAW files and a library of 70,000 photos, and it is smoooooooooth.

But start up Photoshop and the computer gets sluggish... grrr Rosetta.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Congratulations. Sadly, that doesn't change the fact that in my case, with 10,000 client-submitted JPEGs, Aperture runs like a dog.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

wow that surprises me as well. i guess my hopes to be able to run it on my 2GHz, 2GB MacBook are shot to hell lol.

i was hoping it might be able to crawl along in Aperture but now im thinkin i'm dreamin.

o and to answer your question --- i'd look at NewEgg.com for your RAM needs. very competitive prices and fast shipping. took only 3 business days from day of order to arrival at my house for my MacBook ram. and that's from California to Texas in only 3 days.