Overall Mac OS usage market share declining?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer tops the news when it comes to analyzing recent operating system usage market share numbers, but one market research firm says its data indicates overall Mac OS usage has suddenly hit a slight decline.

"Mac Intel OS usage is growing quickly, and currently has 0.62 percent usage market share, but overall Mac OS usage is slightly down," Net Applications wrote in a recent newsletter. "Back in December 2005 total Mac OS usage market share was 4.35 percent, but August 2006 numbers show total Mac OS market share down to 4.33 percent."

Net Applications speculates that while the slight dip may not seem to be a cause for concern to most observers, "the fact that Mac usage was steadily growing until this year's stagnation may be indicative of larger Apple problems."

Still, it's unclear how reliable the firm's market share figures are or how it tracks operating system usage.

In the same newsletter, the firm erroneously reported that Apple's iPod unit shipments hit an all time high at 12 million units in one quarter before stumbling.

"iPod sales peaked at over 12 million units for the 4th quarter of 2005, but have stumbled to 8.5 million and 8.1 million units the most recent two quarters," the firm wrote.

iPod sales actually peaked during Apple's first fiscal quarter of 2006, in which it sold over 14 million of the players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Geez, you dont think that the 0.02% could be attributed to the fact that people were waiting for the Mac Pro to be released so didn't buy as many powerMac G5's for a few months.

Analysts certainly eat shit, and regurgitate it.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In the same newsletter, the firm erroneously reported that Apple's iPod unit shipments hit an all time high at 12 million units in one quarter before stumbling.

"iPod sales peaked at over 12 million units for the 4th quarter of 2005, but have stumbled to 8.5 million and 8.1 million units the most recent two quarters," the firm wrote.

well, that pretty much nullifies this report's credibility...
  • Reply 3 of 97
    The fact that it says that XP has 85 percent marketshare makes me call bullshit.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    Laptop at an all time high...low market share...does not compute.

I've been watching Net Applications a lot lately and I don't think their monitoring is unbiased.

It's actually quite difficult to know OS usage by looking at site logs...unless you monitor all sites on the internet...which is not the case...so...ya know...these numbers mean nothing.
  • Reply 5 of 97
    This article was pathetic.

Was this written by a high schooler?
  • Reply 6 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer tops the news when it comes to analyzing recent operating system usage market share numbers, but one market research firm says its data indicates overall Mac OS usage has suddenly hit a slight decline.

"Mac Intel OS usage is growing quickly, and currently has 0.62 percent usage market share, but overall Mac OS usage is slightly down," Net Applications wrote in a recent newsletter. "Back in December 2005 total Mac OS usage market share was 4.35 percent, but August 2006 numbers show total Mac OS market share down to 4.33 percent."

People should remember that absolute numbers of users can increase, while percentages can decrease. The number of computer users may be increasing, but let's face it - the emerging markets (e.g., China) are less likely to be Mac centric. Apple saw sales DECREASES even in established markets like Japan in the last quarter. And my guess is they'll see more declines, because PCs are relatively cheaper. Plus Apple's laptops aren't particularly attractive, even their low end, because they are MUCH HEAVIER than similarly priced PC laptops (5lbs vs. 2 or 3 lbs).
  • Reply 7 of 97
    God bless the 1% of the population still using ME.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    Quote:

Laptop at an all time high...low market share...does not compute.

That is an excellent point.

Also, the article seems to repeat itself a bit...

[QUOTE]"While this slight dip may not seem to be a cause for concern to most observers, the fact that Mac usage was steadily growing until this year's stagnation may be indicative of larger Apple problems," the report adds.

Net Applications speculates that while the slight dip may not seem to be a cause for concern to most observers, "the fact that Mac usage was steadily growing until this year's stagnation may be indicative of larger Apple problems."

Is it just me or are those the same word? This seems to validate the Highschooler Author.

And; If it is true, Wouldn't it make sence that there are people waiting to purchase the next haul of Intel chips? I know I personally am waiting for my Merom Macbook Pro.

[Side note: Yay first post @ Apple Insider!]
  • Reply 9 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Are there any business PhDs lurking in these forums? If so could someone please explain once again why market share seems to be THE indicator of success or failure for a company? BMW has a much lower market share than GM in terms of sales yet GM is in the toilet and BMW just keeps chugging along. Why is Apple considered a complete, total failure as a company because it doesn't have the market share of Dell? As a card carrying member of the Joe Public fraternity I just don't get it.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp

Are there any business PhDs lurking in these forums? If so could someone please explain once again why market share seems to be THE indicator of success or failure for a company? BMW has a much lower market share than GM in terms of sales yet GM is in the toilet and BMW just keeps chugging along. Why is Apple considered a complete, total failure as a company because it doesn't have the market share of Dell? As a card carrying member of the Joe Public fraternity I just don't get it.

Very simple, if stock brokers can't make money off of the company, then the company is useless to them :P
  • Reply 11 of 97
    Lets not push useful information out of our brains and replace it with this pointless crap, shall we?
  • Reply 12 of 97
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Do they count the Internet traffic caused by virus-spreading and spam-zombies?
  • Reply 13 of 97
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    The problem is they don't give the sample set of websites that were studied.

Imagine if they studied 10 websites to formulate the study. If they include the NortonAntivirus support website and Microsoft.com, you can see immediately how it would skew the numbers to be 75% XP.

My guess is that the sites included in the study are Windows centric and not a very good indicator of market share.

I mean I could take 10 websites and use them to prove that Mac OS has a 90% marketshare. (OSX software download sites, Professional Photog sites, ect...)

So I say, publish the websites included in the study, and not make them pre-biased based on such things as Virus protection, Gamer sites, ect...
  • Reply 14 of 97
    Is there a reason this must be stated twice? It's like, "Just incase you didn't get it the first time, try this."

Quote:

"While this slight dip may not seem to be a cause for concern to most observers, the fact that Mac usage was steadily growing until this year's stagnation may be indicative of larger Apple problems," the report adds.

• Reply 15 of 97
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Nope, that was our editor's error. We apologize.
  • Reply 16 of 97
    I call BS. From my own personal experience, Mac is up, and PC is down. I don't know anyone who is or has dropped a Mac and gone to PC, but I certainly know plenty who have switched to Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin

Plus Apple's laptops aren't particularly attractive, even their low end, because they are MUCH HEAVIER than similarly priced PC laptops (5lbs vs. 2 or 3 lbs).

This is completely untrue. Please find a Core Duo based laptop with 12-13" screen that weighs "2 or 3 lbs" and is available for $1000. I dare you.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp

This is not a cut and dried issue. This company is makes money by providing information. They don't have access to actual figures so they do some simple testing to come up with a report that they can sell. Market share is easy to measure (as long as you don't question the accuracy.)

In a market as large and complex as the computer market one should really break out the different market segments and then look at the shares of different companies in those segments.

Market share is a useful number (if it is accurate), but it does not tell the whole story. As far as evaluating investing in a company, profitability and revenue growth are more important. If sales of Apple computers stalled out or fell that would be reason for concern.
  • Reply 19 of 97
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Since the article doesn't even appear to understand the meaning of the word "market share", I don't see why it's worth discussing at all.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    If you *ever* needed proof that marketing and stock pundits are talking out ther a*s, this one's it. it's simply not possible to know the "overall usage" to any degree of precision, or the Mac OS usage by segment, much less within *two decimal places.*

what crap.