New Macbook Release and Specs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay so I've been hearing some rumors about a possible upgrade to the macbook line and I just wanted to see what you all thought. If so, has anyone heard of a possible date for this upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crantholz

Okay so I've been hearing some rumors about a possible upgrade to the macbook line and I just wanted to see what you all thought. If so, has anyone heard of a possible date for this upgrade?

If I had to bet I'd say it'll be coming out tomorrow.

/not being sarcastic, I have reasons for saying this.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'll take that bet. The current version has only been out 4 months. I think it will stay for some time. (I'm usually wrong in my Apple predictions so this post should be good news for those of you waiting for an update.)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If there was to be an update........any predictions on what? Speed, graphics, price drop???
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Apple needs to revise the 15.4" MBP released in January with a C2D, FW800, etc etc before it needs to update the MacBooks. I'd expect the MBPs before the end of the month and MBs before the Christmas shopping season really kicks in.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MacBooks are supposed to be updated by Thanksgiving I thought? So before Christmas is a given.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Like I've been predicting for a few months now, the MacBook will be updated sometime between the end of October and/or beginning of Nov.

I expect with the latest rumors we got to have the following specs.

MacBook:

1.83GHz Core 2 Duo, 512 MB of Ram, 60GB HD - 13.3" MacBook - White lowend, $999/$1099

2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 512 MB OR 1 GB of Ram, 60 or 80GB HD - 13.3" MacBook - White highend $1199/$1299

2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB of Ram, 80 or 100GB HD - 13.3" BlackBook ( ) $1399/$1499

I also think they might all get Super Drives and if this is true the BlackBook could get a DL Super Drive.

Anyway those are my guesses take them with a grain of salt
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    eesh so no update whatsoever in the graphics department you think? Even if it's still integrated it'd be nice to see some sort of upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

eesh so no update whatsoever in the graphics department you think? Even if it's still integrated it'd be nice to see some sort of upgrade.

Yes the graphics will be updated the question is when?? I'm 100% sure that before Leopard arrives the MacBook will have to get the new GMA x3000 or the GMA 3000, these new integrated graphics are a lot better then what is currently available and these will support Vista so they should work perfectly for Leopard.

The problem is, I've read conflicting reports of when these new integrated chipsets, will be released, the following article says its already released... (note they don't mention what version it is)

Quote:

Intel's new integrated chipset, the GMA X3000

Intel's new GMA X3000 has many improvements over the current GMA950. It features a programmable pipeline versus the GMA950's fixed function pipes; DirectX 9 features such as Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0 are also supported. Vertex shaders are hardware-based, unlike previous Intel graphics cores. Hardware T&L is a vast improvement over the previous software-based solution. High-dynamic range (HDR) is yet another advanced feature to be supported.

The graphics core will be clocked at up to 667MHz, higher than the solutions offered by ATI and Nvidia. The video capabilities of the chip are still limited to VGA, but HDMI, DVI, UDI, component, composite, and S-Video can be added through the SVDO port or an expansion card as was the case with the previous GMA900/GMA950. Intel ClearView technology will provide smoother video playback for both standard and high definition video alike.

There are at least two different graphics cores. The consumer-level G965 Express will receive the GMA X3000 graphics core, and the Q965 the GMA 3000. The difference between the GMA X3000 and the GMA 3000 is that the 3000 lacks Intel's Clear Video Technology.

A comparison between the 945GM (left) and the GM965 (right).

The most interesting feature about the GMA X3000 series is the programmable pipelines - all Intel needs to do in order to support advanced features such as Shader Model 4.0 (to be introduced with DirectX 10) is to update the microcode.

The G965 Express is expected to launch the last week of July with the Core 2 processors; the Q965 Express will be in the first week of September with Intel's vPro Business Platform.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3024

And Wikipedia says the mobile version will be released the second quarter of 2007....

Quote:

GMA X3000

The GMA X3000 represents a dramatic architectural change from previous GMA iterations. The X3000 adds hardware T&L units, pixel shaders, vertex shaders and WMV9 (VC-1) video acceleration. Intel claims the X3000 is Shader Model 3 compliant, and meets Microsoft's GUI requirements for Vista Aero Premium.

X3000's underlying hardware is organized as an array of programmable (unified) pipelines. Each pipeline can process video, vertex, or texture operations. A central scheduler dynamically dispatches threads to pipeline resources, to maximize rendering throughput (and decrease the impact of individual pipeline stalls.) As each pipeline is fully programmable, in theory X3000 can target either DirectX 9 or DirectX 10, determined by operating system and device driver.

The X3000 architechture contrasts strongly with common external GPUs, like those from ATI or nVidia. In these systems the different functions are handled by different types of pipelines; one type to handle hardware T&L, another for vertex shaders, another for pixel shaders, and ones for texturing. Cards feature a selection of pipelines the designer feels will meet the needs of most applications, for instance the low-end ATI X1300 normally includes two vertex processors, four texture processors,and four shader pipelines.

In contrast, the X3000 uses a single type of pipeline that can be used for any of these tasks. The central dispatcher decides what each pipeline should be handling at any given moment, and can re-balance as required. In theory this means the X3000 can handle a wider array of workloads than GPUs that have a fixed number of single-pipelines. Intel's presentation on the GMA X3000 seems to suggest 8 unified pipelines, but in comparison to fixed function, Intel mentions the ability to render 4 pixels per clock.

X3000 is offered in several chipsets, targeting different market segments:

In the top-end G965 the X3000 offers 8 full-featured unified pipelines running at 667MHz. This is a quite high clock speed compared to most GPUs, which are generally between 400MHz (low-end) and 667 (high-end). It will also be able to share up to 384MB of RAM with the computer's CPU.

The Q965 and Q963 corporate chipsets use a cut-down version of the GMA X3000 in the G965 called GMA 3000. The 3000 is similar to the GMA 950 in that Vertex Shaders and T&L are run by CPU, and only supporting Pixel Shader 2.0. Other differences aren't clear, however it may be clocked at 667MHz just like the X3000.

The 946GZ chipset also includes an IGP likewise dubbed the GMA 3000. However, since the 946G is simply a 90nm die shrink of the 945G, its GMA 3000 is only an overclocked GMA950 to 667MHz.

A mobile version is planned for the Santa Rosa platform (Q2 2007.) It will be clocked at 400MHz to save power and reduce heat.

Early performance tests showing the X3000 to be quite a bit slower than the GMA 950, [1] but are incorrectly interpreted, as there exist no public Windows drivers that makes use of all the X3000 hardware features; the tests showed an older driver falling back to software rendering [2].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3000

Another link http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipset...607105403.html

If you need any more info just Google GMA 3000 or GMA X3000. Happy hunting