File Sharing over the internet

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to do like FTP but make it so you can access the server from anywhere online instead of just in the local network? thanks new to neworking stuff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

Is there a way to do like FTP but make it so you can access the server from anywhere online instead of just in the local network? thanks new to neworking stuff

Erm, FTP?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

Yes. You need the IP-address or URL of the remote Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Goto www.no-ip.com and sign-up for a free dynamic DNS address, then download, install and configure the software, this way you access the system remotely without needing to know the specific IP address.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I am trying to use iDisk but I am really doing something wrong. I see my files that have been uploaded from a PC to iDisk on the web but I can't get them to show up on my Mac Desktop. I have read the instructions 10 times and I must really be missing something! Can anyone help Me out on this one?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsosb

I am trying to use iDisk but I am really doing something wrong. I see my files that have been uploaded from a PC to iDisk on the web but I can't get them to show up on my Mac Desktop. I have read the instructions 10 times and I must really be missing something! Can anyone help Me out on this one?

If I had to guess.... I'd say you have enabled iDisk syncing and have it set to sync "manually" ... so your Mac is accessing a COPY of the iDisk on it's own hard-drive, and never syncing it with the REAL iDisk. Therefore it doesn't have the new files uploaded from the PC.

The settings can be found in System Preferences > .Mac > iDisk
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

If I had to guess.... I'd say you have enabled iDisk syncing and have it set to sync "manually" ... so your Mac is accessing a COPY of the iDisk on it's own hard-drive, and never syncing it with the REAL iDisk. Therefore it doesn't have the new files uploaded from the PC.

The settings can be found in System Preferences > .Mac > iDisk

Actually I have iDisk syncing set to automatic. So I am still puzzled.