iTrip - Battery drain

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting an iTrip to use my iPod Nano while driving the car. The thing is, I'm a bit worry about the battery getting worn-out while doing so... (with the battery not being user replacable and all...)

How bad do you think it will be if I while use the iTrip on the road for, lets say, an hour a day on a daily basis?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Not bad at all, just expect to charge a bit more often that's all. I've used an itrip with an ipod mini, video ipod and ipod nano and the battery never died and needed replacing.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It's a known fact that iPods have limited battery life. The battery life gets shorter with time and as you use the device. Because of that, I try to use that iPod when connected to a power source as frequently as possible. My question is how much would the daily usage I described hurt the battery life.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand

It's a known fact that iPods have limited battery life. The battery life gets shorter with time and as you use the device. Because of that, I try to use that iPod when connected to a power source as frequently as possible. My question is how much would the daily usage I described hurt the battery life.

Actually, the life of a battery gets shorter when the battery is dead. As long as you try to keep it above 50%, it'll keep going.

Just for the record, my 1st gen iPod still turns on (although it no longer recognizes the hard drive).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Actually, the life of a battery gets shorter when the battery is dead. As long as you try to keep it above 50%, it'll keep going.

Just for the record, my 1st gen iPod still turns on (although it no longer recognizes the hard drive).

You mean that if I never let my iPod battery go completely drained out, the battery life will never get shorter? Seems somewhat unbelievable to me...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, but the use pattern has a LOT to do with how long your battery lasts. Read the manual for your model to find out the suggested best use for that battery type.

FWIW, my 1G iPod, 5GB, not only turns on, not only recognizes the hard drive, I can get about 90 minutes of playback out of it, if I don't skip too often, or use the backlight. I use it most either connected to my laptop while at work, or in the car on long trips, where I have a power adapter, so it isn't an issue.

And when I get tired of that, I'll buy one of the $30-40 battery replacement kits. No biggie.