question about sending MacBook to AppleCare?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone. Just today I noticed a horrible flickering of the backlight screen on my 3 month old MacBook which was flawless up until today. I read on Apple's discussion page that many others have went through the same thing and they suggest telling Apple about it right away. It's so annoying and I need to get it fixed ASAP because I NEED it for school!! I might go down to the closest Apple Store near me tomorrow but I have a few question about the 120GB internal hard drive I put in right after I got my MacBook....

1) When I send my MacBook back to Apple Care, should I put in the 60GB factory hard drive that came with the computer, or can I leave the 120GB drive I installed in there? I was thinking about leaving the 120GB in there incase it's a software issue... and I have everything backed up on a drive here at home.

also...

2) If I send it from the Apple Store, can it be sent back to my house rather than back to the store when it's fixed?

Thanks for the help in advance!! I'm still a mac newbie (and very pleased with my switch) despite this! I'm just sad thinking I'll go a few weeks without my beautiful mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccabea

1) When I send my MacBook back to Apple Care, should I put in the 60GB factory hard drive that came with the computer, or can I leave the 120GB drive I installed in there? I was thinking about leaving the 120GB in there incase it's a software issue... and I have everything backed up on a drive here at home.

It's highly unlikely, but if it was a software issue, wouldn't you want to know that so you needn't bother being without the machine? If you put the old drive back in and the flickering stops, you know it's a software issue and you can try re-installing the OS on your 120 gig drive.

I'd put the 60 gig drive back in, and if it still flickers, send it back to Apple with the 60 gig drive.

Quote:

2) If I send it from the Apple Store, can it be sent back to my house rather than back to the store when it's fixed?

Don't know.

Quote:

I'm still a mac newbie

Welcome to Macintosh

Quote:

(and very pleased with my switch)

Glad to hear it!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Yeah I'd put the 60GB back in. Sometimes they give you a new machine and if they do, they won't return your data without charging.