Mulholland Dr., Memento, etc.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Normally I watch less intense movies, but after re-watching Mulholland Dr. last night, and realizing how much I loved it, I'm looking for other similarly challenging films. I didn't much care for Lost Highway or other Lynch movies, but Mulholland Dr. really hits the spot. Memento comes to mind too.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Donnie Darko comes to mind.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Normally I watch less intense movies, but after re-watching Mulholland Dr. last night, and realizing how much I loved it, I'm looking for other similarly challenging films. I didn't much care for Lost Highway or other Lynch movies, but Mulholland Dr. really hits the spot. Memento comes to mind too.

Any other suggestions?

You didn't like Blue Velvet? I don't know what you mean by "challanging", but

here are my suggestions:

Cronenberg's "Crash"

Videodrome

Four Rooms

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her lover\t

Brazil

Siesta

Delicatessen
  • Reply 3 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Donnie Darko comes to mind.

Yeah, I'd put that into the same class as I'm thinking. I've seen it though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

You didn't like Blue Velvet? I don't know what you mean by "challanging", but

here are my suggestions:

Cronenberg's "Crash"

Videodrome

Four Rooms

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her lover\t

Brazil

Siesta

Delicatessen

Thanks, I haven't seen most of those. And now that you mention it, I did like Blue Velvet.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Andrei Tarkovsky's (1972) Solaris.

...just thought of another, and from 1972 as well: Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Any other suggestions?

Being John Malkovich?

Pi?

Requiem for a Dream? (*shudder*)

The Interview?

Baghdad Cafe?

Crash (the Cronenberg one)?

Junior Brown's Planet?

Heat?

Gods and Monsters?

House of Sand and Fog?

The House of Yes?

Identity?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

Andrei Tarkovsky's (1972) Solaris.

...just thought of another, and from 1972 as well: Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers.

I had mixed feelings about Solaris. It was mysterious like the ones I'm looking for here, but it was very slow-moving and the mystery wasn't really all that interesting.

I haven't seen Cries and Whispers, I'll have to check that out. I liked Persona quite a bit.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:

I had mixed feelings about Solaris. It was mysterious like the ones I'm looking for here, but it was very slow-moving and the mystery wasn't really all that interesting.

I haven't seen Cries and Whispers, I'll have to check that out. I liked Persona quite a bit.

Watch out though, Cries and Whispers makes Solaris -- you did see the 1972 version, yes? -- look like Diehard.

Also, what about Dark City?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

Also, what about Dark City?

I have never understood why people like that movie so much.

Ooh! What about eXistenz?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I have never understood why people like that movie so much.

It was a fairly self-conscious rant on predestination --- you should've loved it!
  • Reply 10 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Sprit of the Beehive. Glacially paced but beautiful and lyrical spanish film from the 80s. Not really in the neck of the woods of some of things you were mentioning, but I deeply love it and never pass up an opportunity to recommend it.

Burden of Dreams, a documentary about the making of Aguirre, the Wrath of God. Klaus Kinski going slowly insane in the jungle. Priceless.

Welcome to the Dollhouse. I kinda loath everything Todd Solondz did after this, though.

Brick. High school noir that totally works.

Breaking the Waves. The mothership of von Trier's freaky woman hatred/exaltation oeuvre, but it's such a great performance by Emily Watson. Not really everybody's thing.

Audition. The most fucked-up movie I have ever seen. Starts out like a Fred MacMurray vehicle and ends up like a snuff film. And it's Japanese.

Old Boy. Also Japanese, and, come to think of it, even more fucked up than Audition. The Japanese are seriously into some weird shit.

The Navigator. Medieval peasants escape the black death by digging a tunnel to the 20th century. I can't justify recommending this.

The Stuntman. Tricky pomo doings involving the film industry. Peter O'Toole, so you can't go too far wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Breaking the Waves. The mothership of von Trier's freaky woman hatred/exaltation oeuvre, but it's such a great performance by Emily Watson. Not really everybody's thing.

Jesus that's an amazing movie.

As an aside, I LOVE Watson in Trixie. She's the most amazing foot-actor I've ever seen.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Have you seen Carnivale? It's right in the same vein of a lot of the films mentioned here, but spread out over 30 or so hours.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant

Have you seen Carnivale? It's right in the same vein of a lot of the films mentioned here, but spread out over 30 or so hours.

I didn't make it past the first season with that. Loved the first season. But didn't make it past it.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    A few comments on some suggestions:

Dark City and eXistenz are decent -- make you think? Not so much.

Old Boy is fantastic, but it's a Korean film, not Japanese. This is something that would probably sit up there with Donnie Darko, Mulholland and Memento.

Here's another for the growing list: Abre los Ojos/Vanilla Sky. Their basically the same movie, Abre los Ojos came first though and then Cameron Crowe made it better.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Old Boy is fantastic, but it's a Korean film, not Japanese. This is something that would probably sit up there with Donnie Darko, Mulholland and Memento.

Here's another for the growing list: Abre los Ojos/Vanilla Sky. Their basically the same movie, Abre los Ojos came first though and then Cameron Crowe made it better.

Yikes, Korean it is. I amend my remark above to: the peoples of Northeast Asia and immediate costal environs are really into some weird shit.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:

Bah --- combine that comment with midwinter's feigned 'not knowing' why people 'like' that movie so much, and BRusell's highly heretical comment about the storyline of Solaris being 'slow-moving' and the mystery 'not all that interesting' --- I have to ask.... is movie watching for you guys always have to be a trip to the philosophical Nuremberg rallies?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

Being John Malkovich?

Pi?

Requiem for a Dream? (*shudder*)

The Interview?

Baghdad Cafe?

Crash (the Cronenberg one)?

Junior Brown's Planet?

Heat?

Gods and Monsters?

House of Sand and Fog?

The House of Yes?

Identity?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen several of them, but I've never heard of Junior Brown's Planet. What's that? I didn't see it on Netflix or Amazon. Seeing Pi and Requiem for a Dream also reminds of Primer (oh I guess it's not by the same guy - I thought it was).
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

Bah --- combine that comment with midwinter's feigned 'not knowing' why people 'like' that movie so much,

It wasn't feigned. I honestly don't understand why people like that movie.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

... and wasn't occupying the pre/post coital timeframe?

dmz, for me, everything is either pre- or post-coital.

I did like Solaris, BTW. But it was slow. So was 2001: Space Odyssey.

[edit]ah, dmz, you edited out your best line!
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:

It wasn't feigned. I honestly don't understand why people don't like that movie.

Feigned! Admit it! Feigned in a moment of post-coital scheming!