Running Windows - CrossOver vs. Parallels

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just wondering if anyone has tried using CrossOver? Any opinions on how it compares to Parallels?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber

Just wondering if anyone has tried using CrossOver? Any opinions on how it compares to Parallels?

I installed IE 6 via a CrossOver demo and it ran OK. Tried one unsupported app too and it worked fine although the audio was kinda messed up.

I installed Vista RC1 in a Parallels demo and it works fairly well, but the networking isn't working so I haven't done much with it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    What about switching back and forth between Mac OS and Windows. Does either CrossOver or Parallels have an advantage?

Someone showed me Parallels on his computer but it seemed a cumbersome to switch back and forth. Cutting and pasting data from Windows to Mac OS and vise-versa. Is CrossOver any better at this?

I am planning on using Windows almost exclusively to run the Palm Desktop. I need to be about to quickly and effeciently transfer data back and forth from Mac OS to Palm Desktop.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber

What about switching back and forth between Mac OS and Windows. Does either CrossOver or Parallels have an advantage?

Crossover will likely have no Ram limitation. Parallels is limited to the resources of the virtual machine however, it has much more support for Windows features so most non-3D programs work as you'd expect.

I personally go with Parallels for the compatibility.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    CrossOver and Parallels Workstation are two entirely different solutions to two entirely different problems. CrossOver is a clone of some of Windows APIs. This allows a select subset of Windows apps to run "natively" on Intel-based computers which are running an OS other than Windows. Parallels Workstation is a virtualization app which allows virtually any Intel-compatible OS (except MacOS X) to run on virtual machines hosted by MacOS X.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

CrossOver and Parallels Workstation are two entirely different solutions to two entirely different problems. CrossOver is a clone of some of Windows APIs. This allows a select subset of Windows apps to run "natively" on Intel-based computers which are running an OS other than Windows. Parallels Workstation is a virtualization app which allows virtually any Intel-compatible OS (except MacOS X) to run on virtual machines hosted by MacOS X.

Yeah, we got that -- the question is, given the software that CrossOver can support, which is easier and faster to use? If I open MS Word in CrossOver is that quick and part of my OS X experience, or if I open Parallels with MS Word (opening the virtual Windows, then the Word) is that quicker and more seamless? Seems someone out there has both and could give a little insight. (I use Word as an example because MS has now stated it's going to be awhile before they get a Mac version going.) Couple that with how fast Rosetta opens the older Mac version of Word, and we have a nice experiment. I think that's a legitimate question.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I was thinking o using CrossOver for Windows Messenger, would that work?