MBP - What Should I Expect in 2007?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I posted this over at MR and also thought that I'd try here.

I've been waiting a few months for the Merom MBP to be released and to to tell you the truth I've gotten somen somewhat used to it. Yet at this point it seems that Apple will be making us wait until the holidays. If I have to wait that long I might be able to stick it out another couple months for MWSF 2007 if the MBP is substantially upgraded.

The main reason I'm willing to wait is that currently Sprint (my wireless isp) doesn't support the ExpressCard/34 slot yet, so that means that I may as well stick with my old Pismo for the mean time. Not to say that the new machine wouldn't be an incredible leap for me, but if it's only good for home and hotspot areas then I'll not be all that happy.

I know that it's a long shot, but I just have to ask, what's predicted for early 2007 as far as MBP's? Intel quad? More memory slots to help support the Merom better? Other?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to buy now and I'd have many many uses for even the current MBP, yet the online thing would realy stink as I've grown addicted to getting online anywhere and my service isn't up for two years and hauling around two laptops, well that's a bit out of the question.

Thanks for any insight

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

what's predicted for early 2007 as far as MBP's? Intel quad? More memory slots to help support the Merom better? Other?

I don't think we will see a big re-design until Intel releases Robson. With Robson they will have 802.11n, NAND caching, and I think some advances in the chip-set. From the standpoint of the average user, and the media, the conroe/memrom jump isn't news-worthy enough to justify a full blown redesign.

Robson is due by March, so at this rate that mean MBPs in quantity by early summer?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

I don't think we will see a big re-design until Intel releases Robson. With Robson they will have 802.11n, NAND caching, and I think some advances in the chip-set.

Notably a FSB increase to 800 MHz from 667 MHz. Oh, and the 802.11n support will still be draft. The Santa Rosa platform as Intel currently codenames it.

But yeah, Intel wise that's about it.

More express card/34 equipment should be out soon enough though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I believe it's unrealistic to set up specific specs for the Macbook Pro in 2007. So far we are experiencing some serious "delays", acording to the public's general oppinion / expectations for the 06 fall.

Let's see what happens until Christmas, if anything that is.. \
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

So far we are experiencing some serious "delays", acording to the public's general oppinion / expectations for the 06 fall.

I would not call the general public the smartest group to follow.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

More express card/34 equipment should be out soon enough though.

This is what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

the 802.11n support will still be draft. The Santa Rosa platform as Intel currently codenames it.

I have always wondered how significant the difference between "draft" and "final" protocols is, and how severe the fix to correct it would have to be. Is it a software/firmware update to the device, or is it something more substantial that would prevent Intel/Apple from rushing it to market. I would be dubious if they did, but for my own edification?.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

I have always wondered how significant the difference between "draft" and "final" protocols is, and how severe the fix to correct it would have to be. Is it a software/firmware update to the device, or is it something more substantial that would prevent Intel/Apple from rushing it to market. I would be dubious if they did, but for my own edification?.

In this case it remains a big maybe whether firmware will be able to update the various draft-n products out to the final version. It was possible with Apple's early version of the 802.11b standard, but the final version was only a couple months after that. Here the final standard may not be coming out until 2008.