How do YOU like your Macbook & Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So how do you like it? I want to get an actual opinion on it... I googled reviews for it but kept coming up with biased results.

The reason is because I'm about to buy one of my own. Like everyone I'll probably wait for Core 2 Duo. But I want to know how Intel's done so far. My own 17" 1Ghz Powerbook G4 just bit the dust after 5 and a half good years of use. I even replaced the HDD on it about a year ago. It was my first Apple product and it served me well. It ran Tiger like a champ even with only 384MB of memory... Rest it's CPU...

But after 5 years, It's time I took the reigns of a system that could actually render 3D graphics. So how do you like your MBPs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan

So how do you like it? I want to get an actual opinion on it... I googled reviews for it but kept coming up with biased results.

The reason is because I'm about to buy one of my own. Like everyone I'll probably wait for Core 2 Duo. But I want to know how Intel's done so far. My own 17" 1Ghz Powerbook G4 just bit the dust after 5 and a half good years of use. I even replaced the HDD on it about a year ago. It was my first Apple product and it served me well. It ran Tiger like a champ even with only 384MB of memory... Rest it's CPU...

But after 5 years, It's time I took the reigns of a system that could actually render 3D graphics. So how do you like your MBPs?

I just got my MacBook two days ago and my laptop has not yet been turned off since!!! I also have Windows running with Parallels and as long as you are not trying to do stuff in both operating systems at the same time its fine. I got my MacBook with 1 gig of ram and the 2.0 GHz processor and I must say this thing flies.

My last laptop was a 1.33Ghz iBook which was the single best computer I had ever owned in my life, and I hoping this MacBook proves to be up to that standard. It kills me to sell my iBook to have to pay off my MacBook, but I have to do it.

However I reallly am impressed with the MacBook, it seems Apple fixed its thermal paste issues and over heating issues. I can run this laptop hard and it has yet to miss a beat!!!

Hope this helps

-iGrant
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

I googled reviews for it but kept coming up with biased results.

I'm pretty sure the opinions you'll get here on a pro-apple forum will be heavily biased also =)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

The good:

Size, great screen, camera*, speed, expandability and keyboard (and obviously OSX)

The BAD

HOT, one stupid mouse button with some finger trick for a right click, and camera*

* the camera is a double edged sword, a nice feature, but it could get you in trouble with corprate security if you work with secure/secret/classified stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    "it could get you in trouble with corprate security if you work with secure/secret/classified stuff."

Might I suggest some electrical tape.

Seriously, just got my MacBook after a long wait/dont-wait dilemna regarding the Merom. Its a freaking great computer. If you are using something two or three years old now, its a big upgrade. At least it was for me.

Now only if anyone anwhere, Apple.com store included, had one freaking Airport Extreme in stock.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

The good:

Size, great screen, camera*, speed, expandability and keyboard (and obviously OSX)

The BAD

HOT, one stupid mouse button with some finger trick for a right click, and camera*

* the camera is a double edged sword, a nice feature, but it could get you in trouble with corprate security if you work with secure/secret/classified stuff.

I wouldn't consider one mouse button bad... Remember, it's not like it'll be any change from my existing Powerbook. Heck, I just use keyboard shortcuts for everything anyway. I'm no stranger to OS X. lol. I'm all for Apple's "keeping things simple" policy.

The only real thing I'm worried about is OS performance. I used Apple Logic , Shake, and Final Cut Express quite a bit. along with the iLife apps for general fooling around.

But as far as work goes, I used my Powerbook to be the primary computer to run the audio/visual booth for presentations and things. So the camera's not an issue. I'd consider myself a Pro User.

Naturally though things took quite a while to render and finalize with Logic and the likes. I'm still not sure if I'll even get the new suite of pro apps... Too expensive for me at the moment... Would be nice though
  • Reply 6 of 22
    its great. im amazed by the simplicity of everything. the one mouse button is a bit to get used to, but im liking the shortcuts and the ease of using everything. very happy with my decision. apple store were amazingly helpful when i rang in regards to the slight darkness in the corners. replacement is on the way, should have it next week. the backorder is basically 1/4 of what it was when i first ordered so its much less agonising .
  • Reply 7 of 22
    its veryy verry fast btw. because im not used to it all ive 'forgotten' to close basically every window ive opened in ither safari, or finder, or messenger, or parallels, or transmition. whatever, and it hasnt lagged once. so good.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

its veryy verry fast btw. because im not used to it all ive 'forgotten' to close basically every window ive opened in ither safari, or finder, or messenger, or parallels, or transmition. whatever, and it hasnt lagged once. so good.

Is this your first Mac or something?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Speaking of messengers... I can't wait to test out Adium's Universal Binary on the Intel side. I was thrilled when I heard it was getting it. And now that it's had it for a while, I'm finally going to be able to see it at it's full potential.

I know iChat has video-chatting now, but I refuse to use it until it "officially" supports more than just AIM and Jabber... and the kiddie balloon interface is just rediculous. It barely even blends with the aqua interface.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Is this your first Mac or something?

haha yes , yes it is. i'm amazed at its ability to have every single app open and not even twitch. its love.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

haha yes , yes it is. i'm amazed at its ability to have every single app open and not even twitch. its love.

You mean no "not responding" windows/dissapearing desktops and wtf is happening system freezes when trying to copy files etc etc.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I didn't mean for this to turn into another Mac vs. Windows thread... But while we're on the subject...

I've gotta say that in the last 3 days since my Powerbook died, I've been using Windows on my PC again, and while I've had a generally good experience with this PC (IE: no random freezes and glitches). I just can't stand the Windows UI...

It's kinda funny hearing myself say that now... I come from a "Windows only" family who basically relies on the 15 year old statment that Macs are slower and don't do as much as PC's do. I grew up on Dos, Windows 3.1, 95, and 98. But I wanted to see if what they said was true with my own eyes. So I decided to look into, and eventually bought the Powerbook. I never had any friends that liked Macs or anything.

So I took a self-taught crash course on OS X 10.1... Yes, I was running Puma. lol. Ever since then, I've shown my family and realitives what OS X can do, and now pretty much all of my family has a Mac or 2 in their home. Hehe...

Oops, I got off track... Anyway, My point was meant to be that I'd gotten used to what a good UI feels like. Now going back to Windows makes me realize just how archaic it really is. having the vast majorty of keyboard shortcuts assigned to an F-key seems so take away the human factor... It may be the "logical" way to do it, but most humans aren't pure logic.

I've used Windows far more than I've used OS X, and even to this day I have trouble remembering that "quit" is Alt-F4... Every way I look at it that just doesn't make sense other than "it was the next key in the line".

On OS X though, "apple-Q" makes perfect sense. Q for quit. and W for window. Also, whenever I don't know a shortcut, I can make a guess and get it right 98% of the time based on where "I" might have put it because I've learned the scheme.

It's like math. "If this equals this and that equals that, then this MUST be this". Unlike Windows where the shortcuts seem to be random and differ from one app to the next...
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Got the wife a MB a couple of days ago. It is georgeous, the screen puts my older PB screen to shame and it is very fast. Blows my 1.5 GHz PB away.

Gets a bit hot, so make sure you have a stand to keep it elevated esp. when using CPU intensive apps.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I have a black macbook and 17" MBP, I love them both. Other than the bottom getting hot, no complaints.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    This heat thing must really be an issue then... Because my Powerbook got too hot to touch on the bottom at full use too. But I always kept it in an airy spot. Yet noone complained about them...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

So how do you like it?

A lot, but I'd like it a whole lot more if it had arrived yet!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

My own 17" 1Ghz Powerbook G4 just bit the dust after 5 and a half good years of use.

But after 5 years...

timewarping?

The 1Ghz 17inch PowerBook has been released on 01/07/2003 -> that's a good 3,5 years.

Don't make the baby older then it already is :-)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

"it could get you in trouble with corprate security if you work with secure/secret/classified stuff."

Might I suggest some electrical tape.

Seriously, just got my MacBook after a long wait/dont-wait dilemna regarding the Merom. Its a freaking great computer. If you are using something two or three years old now, its a big upgrade. At least it was for me.

Now only if anyone anwhere, Apple.com store included, had one freaking Airport Extreme in stock.

Airport Extreme is upgrading, thats why ^_^
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I LOVE IT!!! I can't believe i held out this long before i made the switch from Pc to Mac. All the wasted time. Sigh.....
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllBrain

A lot, but I'd like it a whole lot more if it had arrived yet!

My delightful little 15.4" MBP is now sitting next to me in its box. I'm at work at the moment so can't spend too much time tinkering but I did get it out for a quick look and it's gorgeous. I'm really impressed by it (it was an Apple refurb BTW). I ordered it yesterday morning at 7am BST and it arrived just after 11am BST today. Not bad really, just over 24 hours.

I've not turned it on, but I'll let you all know how it goes! Gotta go out tomorrow and buy it some 'clothes' though. I can't keep carrying it round in the box!

As I've said in another thread now that I've finally snapped and bought one they'll upgrade them within days but hey, who needs Core 2 Duo anyway?