Mac Pro: Adobe CS2 keeps crashing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Mac Pro is giving me grief when running CS2.

Both my 20" iMac CD and MacBook run CS2 fine, but for some reason I can only have one of the CS2 apps open at any one point. If for instance I have InDesign open, and I try to launch Photoshop or Illustrator, InDesign will crash. I've tried every combination and I can only ever have one of the main apps open at once.

I've also installed another additional 1GB of Micron memory (bringing the total to 2GB) in the hope that the machine wouldn't have to page-out as much.

It's a real fast machine – but at the moment all that means is that the software crashes real fast.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    I've just ordered my third mac, the other two were very crashy for the first couple of months or so, Photoshop is my main program. It disappeared itself on the G4, plus I learned how to work it properly.

When my Mini was new it behaved very oddly, mostly in Safari but it also burned cds with multiple copies of the same file instead of the eight different Psds I was trying to put on it, highly embarrassing for work.

Tech support helped but I think the big final difference came when I re-installed OSX from the disc, doing it myself seemed to install it better, as if the factory had only half done it or something. How that's possible I don't know but it helped. Also 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 got awfully buggy, so I reverted to 10.4.2 and left it there.

Anyway, the mini died during a job on thursday so I've ordered a Mac Pro earlier than I wanted to and I'm very nervous how brush tracking using a Wacom pad works under Rosetta. P6 under Classic was unusable, instead of drawing a smooth line the pointer jumped all over the place.

Has yours let you get this far yet?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I always make a point of formatting the drive as soon as I get a new machine and carrying out a clean minimum install from scratch.

So far the Mac Pro has largely behaved exactly as I expected it would, but in CS2 everything just grinds to a halt.

I switched back to my G5 Quad this morning, and the difference in performance was like night and day. Super snappy, and ultra stable!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I don't think it is your Mac's fault per se... Rosetta may be causing issues, contact apple about the problem -- however, it is a 50/50 shot whether the problem lies with rosetta or CS2.

You could try parallels or boot camp with a pc version of CS2 (if you already own it). If I were buying a new mac, and since I have access to a pc version of cs2 and xp that would be my solution...

This could be a temporary fix until Cs3 comes out (early?) next year.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

I don't think it is your Mac's fault per se... Rosetta may be causing issues, contact apple about the problem -- however, it is a 50/50 shot whether the problem lies with rosetta or CS2.

You could try parallels or boot camp with a pc version of CS2 (if you already own it). If I were buying a new mac, and since I have access to a pc version of cs2 and xp that would be my solution...

This could be a temporary fix until Cs3 comes out (early?) next year.

Well so far, and I'll probably regret this as soon as I say it, the 10.4.8 patch seems to have solved the numerical problems...

...time will tell