completely outrageos 20'' imac issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
this imac arrived early last week and was sent into repair that day due to apparently a "hard drive issue" it wouldnt boot, just got a white screen with no indication of going any further then that, so i get my computer back yesterday and am just happy to have it here and then guess what? another problem. After about a half hour of usage it just turns off...but heres the strange part, it will turn off except i can hear the hard drive going, just not see nor hear the game or music i was listening to when it did this. So inorder to turn it back on i must power it off. I am reluctant about bringing it back once again to the apple store so i was praying to god that someone on here could give me a solution to my heartache.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It always turns off after exactly a half hour?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    not exactly every half hour but it tends to be around that time, right now it is running for a while, and i thought it might be when im doing something like gaming but it takes pretty much the same amount of time when i am.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Have you tried it in a colder place? It could be a heat issue with some component that turns of rather than self destruct. There are freeware apps that display the heat sensors readings. Give it a try
  • Reply 4 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There's something wrong on the mainboard. Have them replace it or the whole unit while it's still under warranty. I've never heard of them refusing to fix a mac, but before today there wasn't much to go on. If something is wrong with hardware or firmware, it doesn't always show up on their radar until a dissatisfied customer (you) is able to offer a fairly rich description of the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    My boss had a 20" G5 iMac that the PS died on, while on a lengty repair he bought a 20"intel iMac. That one "works" and is quiter then the G5 but after turing to blank screen or screen saver the screen is screwwed up with light green streak over it that does not go away with screen res changes

The QC is not as good as it should be...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    see its wierd now it hasnt done it at all, when it did turn off once today, it was only when i plugged a camera into the usb port. it runs at a 32 average and gets up around 45 after extended use.