G4 pb 17 1.67 hard drive replacement documentation

regreg
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have googled and search apple and have not come up with instructions for upgrading my hard drive. I have one bad sector that doesn't want to be repaired so the replacement is necessary. Has any one replaced theirs or can give me a link? Thanks

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

I have one bad sector that doesn't want to be repaired so the replacement is necessary.

If you zero the drive with disk utility, it misses out the bad sectors. You should then be able to use the drive again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have already tried that along with running disk warrior, tech tool pro and fsck. They all cured some of the problems that had just started up but not all. I also changed the format to Macos extended (not journaled) since when I would try to reload the system after the zeroing it out, the install would fail. I don't know why it would only fail in journal. Well I'll have fun time doing the change out this weekend. Some of the more recent laptops (Ti 500 and Wall Street) were not bad. My wife's toilet seat ibook was the most difficult and I just hope it is not like that one.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

or can give me a link? Thanks

How about here?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The change out was easy. I wish I had looked at Mr. H's link before I started. The only thing I was worried about was the ribbon cable for the keyboard. I also did not remove the other 2 ribbon cables, I just worked beneath them. It took about 40 minutes and would have taken less if I had those instructions. The ribbon cable was very hard to get back in. After a clean install from CD's life is good again. Thanks again

reg
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You might want to see if the drive has a manufacturer's warranty. If so you can RMA it for a replacement.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    It is older than a year old so I don't think it would be under warranty. Still I will take a look thanks. I also put the old HD in an external enclosure and tried everything on it again, disk Warrior, Tech Tool Pro reformatting and zeroing it out. It still comes out with a bad sector that can not be repaired.