Previous System folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, I'm a jackass and did something that required me to reinstall from my install disks. I did the Archive install b/c I didn't know what was going to happen to everything. Luckily I also backed up everything onto an external HD before doing my very stupid thing.

All of my apps seem to work from the new system file. I have all of my music and photos backed up to my external. Do I need to keep the Previous System file for a bit to make sure there is nothing hinky or missing or should I be good to delete it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    If you're sure you have everything you need, deleting any old files is fine. I'm not sure what old files you mean though. I didn't think Archive and install kept an old copy of your system folder. I thought it wrote over the system folder in place and backed up your data.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I didn't think Archive and install kept an old copy of your system folder.

Well, it does. That's what the "Archive" bit means.

To the O.P.: Since you've backed up, as long as you've tried running all your apps, I'd say you're good to get rid of the old system folder.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, there wouldn't be any point to backing up files it's not going to touch, like your user data... but /System, /Applications, and some of /Library? Yeah, those it caches so you can snag what you need later if need be. Once you've established that everything is AOK, that Previous Systems folder can be deleted. I usually take a quick peek through there and see if there's anything that might be best saved for a rainy day.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

...Once you've established that everything is AOK, that Previous Systems folder can be deleted. I usually take a quick peek through there and see if there's anything that might be best saved for a rainy day.

For example keychain login files.