MacAddict magazine changing name

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MacObserver and Macworld are reporting MacAddict magazine is changing name to MacLife in Spring 2007. Search is on for a new editor in chief.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/wri/214048605.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Oh no, a drug reference?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MacLife. I like the new name better. Good move, considering the popularity of iLife.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I like MacAddict but then they resorted to spinning the S*** out of benches making sure the user had no common reference for comparing two different Macs. Then they got a art director who sucked. They were at their prime in 2003 & 2004 in my view.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Mac Lives Culture

MacAddict/Future US may want to consider catering to more of an international audience along the lines of MacDirectory magazine. Exploring the lives of creative people using Macs to develop their visions. Interviewing the likes of Gene Munster about how investors should value the parts of Apple and what is a reasonable premium with and without Steve Jobs. Meet with Apple Directors, Al Gore and others, to explore their aims and what other business interests may affect judgements regarding Apple. How could Jobs minimalist style transfer to an Appleesque design for office, home and ergonomics. Imagine the expanded advertising pool willing to influence and fulfill the MacAddiction and the resulting ad revenues generated to bring more pages to us every month. As MacAddict has aged so has its base and with age prospered financially; bringing along their youthful exuberance with an ability to fulfill desires beyond their means a decade ago. Isn't that what we MacAddict readers really want, more and better with fun?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Cool name change!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    I found this subscription offer for $9.39 for 3 years (36 issues). For those of you who like MacAddict as I do, this is a superb offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACADDICT-MAGAZI...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I find that Mac magazines are generally pretty unexciting. PC magazines work fine, because new PC products are released often and there is much ground to cover. But in the Mac community, not much happens on a monthly basis. There are plenty of months where Apple releases nothing at all, and these magazines put out the same stuff over and over. I have seen SO MANY cover stories on "50 Best Shareware Apps for Your Mac" and other such filler nonsense.

I much prefer to get my Mac information over the internet, when there is actually something to report, than pay for this stuff every month.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I was actually thinking of subscribing to a Mac based magazine. Any of you guys think this is a good choice?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

I was actually thinking of subscribing to a Mac based magazine.

Seriously, why?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Seriously, why?

Hehe, I'm psycho and love reading about Apple and Macs. But I guess you might be right. What would I gain from the subscription? I probably would already know all of the news they discuss in each issue....Bah.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Hehe, I'm psycho and love reading about Apple and Macs. But I guess you might be right. What would I gain from the subscription? I probably would already know all of the news they discuss in each issue....Bah.

If you are a total addict you can get it, but I must say I was like you and hopefully ordered a subscription to their magazine only to be enormously underwhelmed. I already knew everything they wrote about in more detail far before they wrote about it. They had the same cover story every month. Etc.

But if you must get a Mac magazine, then I think MacAddict (sorry, Mac|Life) is the best one.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I prefer the British MacWorld.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I prefer the British MacWorld.

Is that different from the American MacWorld?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Is that different from the American MacWorld?

Yes.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    How is it different?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

How is it different?

It is written in a British accent. Duh.