external hard drive with MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
after having my laptop crash the other day, and the undesirable thought of losing all my pictures and songs, i decided to buy an external hard drive after i was able reinstall the OS and was lucky enough to recover all my pictures and music. now i want to store ALL of my songs and pictures onto my external hard drive. i want itunes to recognize my external hard drive, just as it would recognize my ipod, so that i can play all my music from my external. im doing this so that i dont run the risk of losing all my pictures and music as well as the hopes of making my laptop run a little bit faster by having more free space on my hard drive. thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    You could set iTunes to read the Music folder off your external, instead of the internal. Not sure if there is a way to do both though. =\\

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ibangibang Posts: 5member
    In iTunes:

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General

Change your iTunes Music Folder location to a directory on your external.

Make sure "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" are both checked. Hit Ok.

Back in iTunes choose Advanced > Consolidate Library

That'll move everything to your external.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    An External HD can crash just like the rest of them. I'd us that external to back up my files if I were you.

I'm paranoid about loosing files, so I have a couple of externals. I use Apple's back up & Synchronize Pro. One back up have set to automatically back up every week. That stays at home. Then once a month or so I have an external that I keep at my office. I bring that home & back up everything on it & return it to the office.

Like you I do not want to loose my photos & Music. But I wanted to be prepared in case of fire or theft.