Student-teacher discount for iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Not sure where to post this, but I decided it is time to retire my iMac 400dv, actually give it to my mom, and I am going to buy a new Mac.

I hate all in ones generally, but the $1199 iMac seems to be the best computer for the money compared to the Mini which seems underfeatured for the price, especially since I would have to buy a LCD to go with it. Anyone with another opinion please chime in because I'm not crazy about the iMacs design.

Anyway, my broinlaw is a teacher and he can get the discount. He lives in the same town as me, so how would I be able to buy it for the teacher price? If i go with him to the apple store, can I use my credit card even though he's the one getting the discount?

Does the computer have to be registered in his name or can I register it in mine?

The other option is that Amazon.com has a $75 rebate on the iMac with free shipping, although I save more with the teacher discount.

Also, do you guys recommend Apple Care?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Can't you just order online and pretend to be a student? Works here.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I think if you go into a store they would just ask to see the student ID. They won't take down all kinds of student info to do a background check.

If you oder online, they don't even whether or not you are actually a student. You just have to read this page of agreement that you are not abusing the student discount.

And you don't have to register the computer with anything special.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I guess that means it wont be aa problem. Now, do I order online or just buy from the apple store?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666

Not sure where to post this, but I decided it is time to retire my iMac 400dv, actually give it to my mom, and I am going to buy a new Mac.

I hate all in ones generally, but the $1199 iMac seems to be the best computer for the money compared to the Mini which seems underfeatured for the price, especially since I would have to buy a LCD to go with it. Anyone with another opinion please chime in because I'm not crazy about the iMacs design.

Anyway, my broinlaw is a teacher and he can get the discount. He lives in the same town as me, so how would I be able to buy it for the teacher price? If i go with him to the apple store, can I use my credit card even though he's the one getting the discount?

Does the computer have to be registered in his name or can I register it in mine?

The other option is that Amazon.com has a $75 rebate on the iMac with free shipping, although I save more with the teacher discount.

Also, do you guys recommend Apple Care?

Thanks

I've thought of replacing my wife's pc with 17" iMac. But once I saw the new 24" iMac I was hooked. It may be a while because I'm getting laptop first but when the time comes I'll get the 24" iMac. You've got to see it to really appreciate it, it's impressive.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I've thought of replacing my wife's pc with 17" iMac. But once I saw the new 24" iMac I was hooked. It may be a while because I'm getting laptop first but when the time comes I'll get the 24" iMac. You've got to see it to really appreciate it, it's impressive.

No moolah or room for that sucker. I was originally going to go for the cheapest Mini.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666

I guess that means it wont be aa problem. Now, do I order online or just buy from the apple store?

Are you sure you can get an educational discount at an Apple store? I always ordered mine on line or by phone. Maybe I'm wrong and you can get an educator's discount at an Apple store, but when there was no Apple stores, CompUSA, an Apple reseller, would not give an educational discount. Maybe someone will just call the Apple store and find out.

Follow-up:

I just had a quick chat with Apple on Apple Chat and you can get an educator's discount at an Apple store. But you cannot customize your Mac as you can when you order on line or by phone.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    its definitely worth checking the final amazon price vs the student discount price. depending on where you live amazon might be tax free. which for me in NYC makes it just about a wash.

just a thought.

also, you might consider getting a macbook + monitor.. the low end macbook would be such a huge improvement over the imac DV, and you could get a cheap 20 inch monitor for a few hundred.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    If amazon is tax free that may pay. I dont want to customize it anyway.

I really dont like laptops.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy

I just had a quick chat with Apple on Apple Chat and you can get an educator's discount at an Apple store. But you cannot customize your Mac as you can when you order on line or by phone.

If you go to the Online Store for Education you can customize the Mac and get the discount.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    $200 off on the imac, $30 off on applecare. Education seems to be the way to go.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    $200 off on the imac, $30 off on applecare. Education seems to be the way to go.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    you can sometimes get a bigger discount in store. i got 14% off in store, would have got 7% online, the ammount of discount avaliable in store depends on whcih institution you are studying at, also the guy in the shop didnt even check my student id
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy

Are you sure you can get an educational discount at an Apple store? I always ordered mine on line or by phone. Maybe I'm wrong and you can get an educator's discount at an Apple store, but when there was no Apple stores, CompUSA, an Apple reseller, would not give an educational discount. Maybe someone will just call the Apple store and find out.

Follow-up:

Does the edu discount in a brick-n-mortar store exclude ANY kind of customization?

I was planning on getting a new iMac in the near future and wanted to bump up the HD and RAM. Since this is a fairly simple operation that they can do in the store anyway (as opposed to a processor upgrade) I wonder if that is still not allowed for the edu discounts?