No Acces to folders after reinstalling OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I switched to OSX some weeks ago and decided to reinstall OSX after +10 Kernelpanincs.

I backuped many folders (Images, Movies, Music etc) to some other drives a bought (2x 250gb from samsung).

However I've no acces to this folders anymore (they're all marked with a red circle with "-" in it).

It's really important that I don't lose this files, what can I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    How is your back-up disk formatted?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

How is your back-up disk formatted?

It's a 232 GB Mac OS Extended Partition.

As far as I can tell, only original OSX-folders (user-folder, documents etc) are affected.

I really hope there's a solution for this problem.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NORTHERNLiGHTS

It's a 232 GB Mac OS Extended Partition.

As far as I can tell, only original OSX-folders (user-folder, documents etc) are affected.

I really hope there's a solution for this problem.

Try doing a "Get Info" on the secondary drive, and select "Ignore Permission on this Drive".
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley

Try doing a "Get Info" on the secondary drive, and select "Ignore Permission on this Drive".

But what caused this behaviour?

Sounds like the user account you originally used to make the backup with was probably called something else than the user account you're now using when trying to access the backup, is it so?

And yes, the "trick" with Ignore permissions on this Drive should "fix" this.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I think found the problem, the folder had invalid read/write-authorisations ("unkown" user), after changing them to my new user, it worked fine.

*edit*

Damn, I'm writting to slow Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

The osx-reinstall didn't fix my kernelpanic-problem though. I got two in the last 2 hours...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NORTHERNLiGHTS

I think found the problem, the folder had invalid read/write-authorisations ("unkown" user), after changing them to my new user, it worked fine.

*edit*

Damn, I'm writting to slow Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

The osx-reinstall didn't fix my kernelpanic-problem though. I got two in the last 2 hours...

The KPs sound like bad hardware. My first bet would be bad RAM. If you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine try running on 1 at a time to see if you can isolate which stick is causing the problem.