MBP refurb - worth it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to get a MBP and I was going to get the 2.16GHz model with 100GB 7200rpm hard drive and glossy screen.

However, I've just seen a refurb model on the Apple UK website which is selling a 2.0GHz model with 1GB RAM and 100GB 5400rpm drive for £1100 - 30% off the RRP.

If I bought this, will I notice much speed difference against the 2.16 GHz model. I wouldn't have thought so. How about the hard drive speed - does 7200 make a noticable difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    someone posted a test showing the 7200 rpm speed only makes a difference with large audio and video files.

i just bought a refurbished MBP from the Apple Store for $1699 US. The nice part was I got a free upgraded 100gb drive which was unexpected. The sale listing showed an 80gb.

I don't think you'll see any speed differences, but I do believe the 2.16ghz has an X1600 with 256mb video ram, which you might like.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The model Salarymans talking about has the 256MB video memory.

Other point is no glossy screen MBP refurbs seen in UK!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It seems the refurb is a pretty good model then. I'm not that fussed about the glossy screen - if I had the choice I'd go with glossy, but I don't really mind either way.

30% off seems like a very good deal
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yes it's a good deal.

I've got the £920 1.83GHz MBP.

It seems like they offer 30% off the older models 1.83 and 2.0GHz and 18% of the newer models 2.0GHz and 2.16GHz.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the full priced model just now as the new C2D MBP's are just around the corner.

There are loads of threads here with info. on refurbs.