static noise problem resolution

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi , I am just posting this in case in the future someone does a search to resolve any noise problems,

I had been thinking I suffered from a bug in itunes 7 because coincidentally that is when I started having problems.

This was on a powerpc mac mini. I was getting major static scratchy sounds from the speakers when having

multiple speakers option turned on and some static even when I had it set to computer only , however I started getting worried when I started hearing static even with itunes closed ...mostly between page loads on the internet.

Resolution: I had two usb lines plugged in that were not connected to anything, one for a digital camera and one for an ipod. disconnecting these made all noise stop, simple but it never occurred to me and so others may

experince the same.

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Good idea, I too have an audio fix that I'd like to append.

It concerns having different grounds for your computer and audio equipment. For some reason, many times when you plug analog line outs from any computer into audio gear, a difference in electrical grounds can introduce an incredibly annoying "buzz".

To fix this, you can buy an "audio isolation transformer" which will cut the ground loop, yet allow the full range of audio signals through. Rickety Hack has them, but you're better off buying a high-quality one from a shop that sells audio gear. (Lower quality isolators will truncate the frequency range).

Of course, I now use my optical out on my Mac Pro. :-)