Changing track and artist names?????How

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have tried HELP in iTunes and SEARCH on this forum, but cannot find the answer. If I load a CD to iTunes and it shows the name of the tunes as Track 01, Track 02 etc, and has no artist name, how can I add those manually. It tells me that it cannot get them from the internet. All I want to do is type the correct names. Can you help or direct me? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flagstaff434

I have tried HELP in iTunes and SEARCH on this forum, but cannot find the answer. If I load a CD to iTunes and it shows the name of the tunes as Track 01, Track 02 etc, and has no artist name, how can I add those manually. It tells me that it cannot get them from the internet. All I want to do is type the correct names. Can you help or direct me? Thanks

Just to be clear, your ripping the CD to iTunes, right?

Having done that, right click/control click the track you want to name, select "get info" from the contextual menu. Alternatively, highlight the track and hit control + "i" on the keyboard.

Choose "info" from the tabs at the top and fill in your info at will. Hit save at the bottom, done.

Another way to go about it is to highlight all the tracks in the CD (by holding down the apple key as you select) and choose "get CD track names" from the "Advanced" menu in the iTunes menu bar.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Just to be clear, your ripping the CD to iTunes, right?

Having done that, right click/control click the track you want to name, select "get info" from the contextual menu. Alternatively, highlight the track and hit control + "i" on the keyboard.

Choose "info" from the tabs at the top and fill in your info at will. Hit save at the bottom, done.

Another way to go about it is to highlight all the tracks in the CD (by holding down the apple key as you select) and choose "get CD track names" from the "Advanced" menu in the iTunes menu bar.

Thanks addabox. I did rip the CD to iTunes. It could not find the CD apparently and would not "get CD track names". However, I was able to control + i and add the names.

Thank you so much,
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flagstaff434

Thanks addabox. I did rip the CD to iTunes. It could not find the CD apparently and would not "get CD track names". However, I was able to control + i and add the names.

Thank you so much,

My pleasure.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Some more tips for future reference:

You can edit the names of the CD tracks before you import them. This means that the files created by the iTunes import process will then have the correct names and be put in a folder with the album name inside a folder with the artist name. If you import first and then change the track names, the files on your HDD will remain labelled "track 01" etc. inside an "unknown album" folder inside an "Unknown artist" folder (unless you've got ticked the "keep iTunes folder organized" option in the "advanced" tab of iTunes preferences - this then updates file names and folders on the HDD according to changes you make in iTunes)

To change the name of a tag that is the same for all tracks (e.g. Album name and Artist Name (unless it's a compilation, of course)), select all the tracks and do a get-info (command-i) and enter the necessary info. and press return. This will update the information for all the items at once to save you typing it over and over.

Track names, artist names and album names can be edited by clicking once on the track in iTunes to highlight it, and then once again on the field you wish to edit. The name will then become highlighted with a box round it (just like editing a file name in Finder) and you can enter the new info.

Hope that all made sense.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Some more tips for future reference:

You can edit the names of the CD tracks before you import them. This means that the files created by the iTunes import process will then have the correct names and be put in a folder with the album name inside a folder with the artist name. If you import first and then change the track names, the files on your HDD will remain labelled "track 01" etc. inside an "unknown album" folder inside an "Unknown artist" folder (unless you've got ticked the "keep iTunes folder organized" option in the "advanced" tab of iTunes preferences - this then updates file names and folders on the HDD according to changes you make in iTunes)

To change the name of a tag that is the same for all tracks (e.g. Album name and Artist Name (unless it's a compilation, of course)), select all the tracks and do a get-info (command-i) and enter the necessary info. and press return. This will update the information for all the items at once to save you typing it over and over.

Track names, artist names and album names can be edited by clicking once on the track in iTunes to highlight it, and then once again on the field you wish to edit. The name will then become highlighted with a box round it (just like editing a file name in Finder) and you can enter the new info.

Hope that all made sense.

It makes a lot of sense, Mr H. Thank you for the information.......