The WSJ profiles Apple's No. 2 in charge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Although Apple Computer's second in command Tim Cook sports a low profile, his contributions at the company have earned him enough notice within technology circles that he is routinely solicited for CEO jobs, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Cook, who has voiced no near-term plans to leave Apple, was first lured to the company in 1998 by chief executive Steve Jobs, the paper notes in a profile (subscription required). At the time, Apple was in shambles, having lost more than $1 billion in fiscal 1997 as it gained notoriety for insufficient manufacturing practices, with bloated inventories that forced it to take costly write-downs on unsold computers and parts.

"In one instance of its inefficiency, Apple assembled notebook computers at a plant in Ireland out of parts shipped from Asia, then sent a significant portion of the finished notebooks back to Asia to be sold in that market," according to the report. "Mr. Cook helped fix such problems. He pushed Apple parts suppliers to physically locate next to assembly plants for Apple products. That let the suppliers keep the parts in their inventory rather than Apple's own."

By the end of the company's fiscal 1998 on Sept. 25 of that year, Cook had worked Apple's inventory down to six days with a value of $78 million, compared to 31 days, or $437 million, the year earlier. By late 1999, he helped squeeze those figures down to just to two days' worth, or about $20 million, the report notes.

According to the Journal, at moments in negotiations when others might elevate their voice, Cook has "an unsettling habit of staring intensely at his counterparts in silence." One person familiar with the Apple chief operating officer recalled leaving a meeting in which Cook had "subtly dressed down" another man in the meeting. The man "got his head handed to him, but Tim did it in a professional, surgical way," that person said.

At other times, Cook has been known for more public shows of criticism, riddled with humor. "At annual meetings of Apple's sales force, for instance, he has been known to hand out a toilet plunger to the sales team that underperforms expectations the most," claims the Journal.

Known for putting in long hours at Apple, Cook, the paper said, is single and devotes much of his time away from the office to sports and exercise. "He's an avid cyclist, known to quote Lance Armstrong in Apple meetings, and is typically at the gym by 5 a.m., people who know him say."

Cook's office and home are are said to be "festooned with memorabilia" for the Auburn Tigers, his alma mater's football team. After majoring in industrial engineering at Auburn, he earned a master's in business administration at Duke University and went on to hold positions at Compaq, IBM. and a computer reseller called Intelligent Electronics.

Although initially a risk, joining Apple has proven to be a financial win for Cook. The Journal reports that since joining the company, he has sold Apple stock worth more than $113 million. As of April of this year, Thomson Financial indicated that Cook continues to hold shares valued at $23 million, in addition to a salary and bonus of $1.2 million last year, which made him the highest-paid Apple executive in 2005.

On the other hand, the Journal notes that Cook has proved more financially conservative -- and less fortunate -- in other decisions. "Since moving to California to join Apple, he has rented a modest home in the town of Palo Alto, put off by Silicon Valley's high real-estate prices, which have only gotten higher since then," the paper said.

Susan Bailey, a senior executive at networking company Avaya Inc. and a friend and former colleague of Cook, told the Journal she recently had dinner with the Apple COO and remembers him saying, "I can't believe I didn't buy my house."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Slow news day?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Known for putting in long hours at Apple, Cook, the paper said, is single and devotes much of his time away from the office to sports and exercise. "He's an avid cyclist, known to quote Lance Armstrong in Apple meetings, and is typically at the gym by 5 a.m., people who know him say."

Why don't they just come out and say it?

It's 2006 for god's sake. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

Why don't they just come out and say it?

It's 2006 for god's sake. Nothing wrong with it.

Im not to sure that liking sports and the gym while being single and older makes you gay.

I know a couple straight people that fit that classification.

Hell I fit that classification... (except Im not single and I am gay)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Only stats can answer this completely private and irrelevant matter:

I'm single, not gay, seldom exercise, am just sinking into deep REM sleep at 5 AM, and believe that Lance Armstrong walked on the moon.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The Jobs CEO replacement treadmill has officially started...these little news releases portend either a restructuring or movement up or out of the company...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

The Jobs CEO replacement treadmill has officially started...these little news releases portend either a restructuring or movement up or out of the company...

I finished reading and my thoughts went somewhat around the same topic. Possible future Apple CEO.

That and the gay thing.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState

I know a couple straight people that fit that classification.

And I bet you know a whole lot more gays who fit that stereotype.

But the real point is... why do they even mention this crap? I mean, do they mention that he has a pet tarantula named Sammy, and his favorite color is cyan?

Of what relevance is someone's relationship status?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"In one instance of its inefficiency, Apple assembled notebook computers at a plant in Ireland out of parts shipped from Asia, then sent a significant portion of the finished notebooks back to Asia to be sold in that market," according to the report. "Mr. Cook helped fix such problems. He pushed Apple parts suppliers to physically locate next to assembly plants for Apple products. That let the suppliers keep the parts in their inventory rather than Apple's own."

According to the Journal, at moments in negotiations when others might elevate their voice, Cook has "an unsettling habit of staring intensely at his counterparts in silence."

"At annual meetings of Apple's sales force, for instance, he has been known to hand out a toilet plunger to the sales team that underperforms expectations the most"

Cook's office and home are are said to be "festooned with memorabilia" for the Auburn Tigers, his alma mater's football team.

"Since moving to California to join Apple, he has rented a modest home in the town of Palo Alto, put off by Silicon Valley's high real-estate prices, which have only gotten higher since then," the paper said.

Susan Bailey, a senior executive at networking company Avaya Inc. and a friend and former colleague of Cook, told the Journal she recently had dinner with the Apple COO and remembers him saying, "I can't believe I didn't buy my house."

I really like reading these articles where they show the "human" side of highly successful people because if it weren't for these pieces of writing, they'd just be names.

It's interesting knowing those process reingeneering feats like the one described above where they found out they were being innefficient by sending parts from Asia to Ireland to Asia again and the annecdotes that otherwise we would never know about.

It's better than another one of those Shaw Wu prediction articles.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

But the real point is... why do they even mention this crap? I mean, do they mention that he has a pet tarantula named Sammy, and his favorite color is cyan?

hehe well maybe the Journal has some bachelorettes reading the article that might be interested in becoming Mrs. Cook.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

hehe well maybe the Journal has some bachelorettes reading the article that might be interested in becoming Mrs. Cook.

... or some young male intern looking for a sugar daddy.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Sounds like another Apple secret waiting to be exposed by the sleuths at AppleInsider! I remember Tim as being a nice guy, a little cocky and pretty smart. I know we had a statistics class together and maybe a few others. He's done well for himself but I don't think I would have bought a house out there either!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    i agree that seeing the human side of the executives at companies is important, though it sounds like this guy doesn't have a life outside of work. bummer. there's a lot to this beautiful world than just sitting in meetings. but, at the same time, i bet you'd see me working hella long hours of the pay this guy is making. sheesh. wtf is he going to do w/ all that $$? hookers? blow?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Interesting angle for me was the compensation part.

Not sure what his gain on $113 million worth of Apple stock is, but it's gotta be up there.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

And I bet you know a whole lot more gays who fit that stereotype.

To paraphrase: Humans should deal only with technical subjects. Everything else is crap.

If you haven't read Ayn Rand, I think you should go out and do so immediately. She also despises anything to do with subjects other than efficiency and hard facts.

But seriously, your comments makes me think you would like her particular take on life.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

To paraphrase: Humans should deal only with technical subjects. Everything else is crap.

If you haven't read Ayn Rand, I think you should go out and do so immediately. She also despises anything to do with subjects other than efficiency and hard facts.

But seriously, your comments makes me think you would like her particular take on life.

Well there's nothing wrong with saying what his hobbies are.

But all this relationship stuff is meant to foster conformity. "Look, our fine upstanding vice president is married with 2.2 beautiful children and a model for the community." Blah.

That's why you get so many closet cases. Like Steve Jobs. Wow, is he like the gayest acting guy you know or what?