Anti-phishing measures already turning up in Safari 3 builds

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Security enhancements that will protect users of Apple Computer's forthcoming Safari 3.0 Web browser from malicious websites have already begun to appear in the latest builds of the company's next-generation Leopard operating system.

According to published reports, the "anti-phishing" features, first described by AppleInsider last week, are accessible to developers testing the latest pre-release distribution of Leopard, build 9A283.

Through interaction with Google's AntiTrust database, Safari 3.0 is able to automatically detecting "phishy" or deceitful website URLs. It then notifies the user via a dialog box, webpage overlay, or a combination of the two.

"This webpage is fraudulent. You should close it immediately," reads a dialog box that pops up in pre-release builds of the browser. "Google has identified this webpage as fraudulent. Do not enter any personal information on this page."

Also new to Leopard in build 9A283 are significant user interface changes to iCal, 3D audio cues in VoiceOver, live*previews*in*print*panels, basic document editing in Preview.app, and the ability to restore groups and subgroups in AddressBook with Time Machine.

Additionally, Apple said Spotlight search technology in the latest builds includes support for *PDF,*HTML,*Web*Archives,*Text, QuickTime movies*and*sound in "Quick Look" view. Time*Machine*snapshots*are*searchable*through*Spot light, the company told developers.

Safari 3.0 anti-phishing measures | Photo credit: TUAW

Meanwhile, iChat in Leopard now allows Spotlight Previews to be streamed in iChat Theater mode and gives users the ability to replace background video effects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Cool*beans*love*the*rumors.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    *notice the integration with google*

i like...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    A ridiculous amount of work went into Safari since 10.4. The upgrades to Safari in 10.4 point updates have absolutely nothing to do with what's going on behind the scenes with Webkit or even the upcoming Safari 3.0.

In a way, I wish all (or most of) the Webkit changes will make it into the last update to Safari 2.x.

Safari 3.0 will be a pleasant browser if only because it'll incorporate all the Webkit changes to date...but the anti-phishing feature will be great for unsuspecting users and the new search feature looks great.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

I don't know what kind of contract Apple has with Mapquest but I hope Address Book kicks Mapquest out and makes room for maps.google.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, iChat in Leopard now allows Spotlight Previews to be streamed in iChat Theater mode

Why? What the hell is the point of showing someone my spotlight search?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

i like...

It has never really been Apple's style to do that so it wouldn't surprise me if they changed it to "Apple has identified..."
  • Reply 7 of 30
    i wish they'd improve the multithreading in safari.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

It has never really been Apple's style to do that so it wouldn't surprise me if they changed it to "Apple has identified..."

OTOH, Google has a pretty good reputation *outside* the Mac community, so it would likely make the general populace comfortable with it as well. ie, switchers.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    In other news:

Microsoft sucks!

IE 7 has flaws!

http://secunia.com/advisories/22477/
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Is Inquisitor part of Safari 3 now? Or is that just the dude's safari who took the screenshot?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Man I would come back to Safari if only they would have a extension system like FireFox. I just love too much to customize FireFox to my liking. I have the Safari theme installed on it though so I forget it is some windows open source non Apple App.

FF 2.0 RC3 is just too nice.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    It would be nice if this wasn't integrated into the browser but was a part of the operating system itself to stop other programs accessing those URLs (e.g. spyware). This would make OS X even more secure.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I suspect it's in WebKit, in which case, it *will* be in most apps... assuming they use WebKit, which most that need web support do.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Or they can pass the lawsuits on to Google.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I find it ironic that the pic shows Safari logging into eBay-- seeing as how eBay is the reason that my Dad stopped using Safari; Safari's back button does not load search ebay results correctly because it always starts at the top of the page so you lose your place.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Teach your Dad to use tabs?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

I don't know what kind of contract Apple has with Mapquest but I hope Address Book kicks Mapquest out and makes room for maps.google.

You can already ignore Mapquest by using Brian Toth's Google Maps Plugin for Address Book instead.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

You can already ignore Mapquest by using Brian Toth's Google Maps Plugin for Address Book instead.

Anyone else wonder where this came from? (look to the left where you see the Notes in yellow and a picture of a map). Is that Apple's very own integration of mapping or a supped up Google Maps?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Could be a dropped image... in fact, given that it is a map of a campground, that's my bet.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Could be a dropped image... in fact, given that it is a map of a campground, that's my bet.

Sure it could be but notice how it just blends in with the default yellow background? No mapping service I know of offers offers that kind of transparency and I don't think it was a CoreImage effect either. Their screenshots for Mac OS X are suppose to appeal to the average user not an Illustrator guru who knows how to make a detailed map for a camping trip...