Adding a printer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am trying to add a printer on Powerbook G4 with Panther. I don't succeed because I don't have the printer model in the list for available printers. The printer is HP Laser Jet 2420. How can I add this printer in the list?

ALso could someone tell me what is the correct protocol for the IP printing type: is it "Socket/HP Jet Direct" or "Internet Printing Protocol" or "LPD/LPR"?

The printer is plugged directly in our office switch and has an IP wich I know and it is recognised by the add printing menu. Unfortunately this Powerbook like I said doesn't have this printer in "Printer Model" dialog.

What can I do?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    The HP LaserJet 2420 is a PostScript-compatible printer and should work with your Mac out-of-the-box. Apple supplies the optional PPD file for this specific model, at least with MacOS X 10.4. If you don't have it, you should be able to find it on HP's website.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Here is the HP page for the 2420 drivers. Just download the one you have.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Sounds like you don't have the driver installed.... Perhaps the OS was "custom" intalled, and the printer drivers were not installed (saves nearly a GB by ditching them.)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

The HP LaserJet 2420 is a PostScript-compatible printer and should work with your Mac out-of-the-box. Apple supplies the optional PPD file for this specific model, at least with MacOS X 10.4. If you don't have it, you should be able to find it on HP's website.

I see, the thing is that only on this 15" Powerbook that my boss uses this printer is listed, on all the other Panther OSX Macs in the office this printer is listed. I don't know how I could add it to that list.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

Here is the HP page for the 2420 drivers. Just download the one you have.

Thank you for taking the time to search for this drivers. Unfortunately I already know about them, but I was hoping first to add the printer on IP protocol and install the drivers from this website afterwards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Sounds like you don't have the driver installed.... Perhaps the OS was "custom" intalled, and the printer drivers were not installed (saves nearly a GB by ditching them.)

Yes, I think you are right.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

Thank you for taking the time to search for this drivers. Unfortunately I already know about them, but I was hoping first to add the printer on IP protocol and install the drivers from this website afterwards.

The process of adding a printer establishes communication between your computer and printer via its driver.