What if: Wrong about the iPhone?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Maybe the iPhone isn't a GSM phone at all.

Context: where's the Apple tablet, PDA, PVR or subnotebook? All of these things make perfect "sense" to certain communities and analysts and are without doubt in prototype form in some faceless block in Cupertino. But either they don't answer a genuine consumer need, despite the received wisdom, or they are battles that Apple can't win no matter how good the industrial design team is.

Apple (Steve probably) is excellent at saying no to releasing products for these reasons, hence the incredibly simple product line-up.

I've seen some of the next-gen phones from SE, Motorola and Nokia recently, and they are bad ass. Lumps of quartz crysal, sexy neon and amazing displays. Apple will find it incredibly difficult to compete, especially given the very, very difficult nature of getting devices approved on networks and their desire to own the customer in ways that would prevent Apple's business models from working. For example, name me an operator without a music store. Other reasons, too ... it's not trivial to enter this market -- in fact it's much harder then you'd think.

Not that they couldn't -- even a startup can have a pop.

But what if the phone isn't a cellular phone at all? Could it be a wifi-enabled iChat / .Mac / VoIP phone that roams onto partner-approved wifi networks, designed primarily for use as a sexy bit of furniture in the home?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    hmm... but wouldn't it just be stupid to not include gsm/umts in such a device?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Then I will go buy a Sony W850 when it comes on US UMTS networks and not look back... And so will everyone else wanting a MP3 phone and trying to reduce the number of devices we carry. Music phones are just starting to ramp up in sales, and Apple knows this. Frankly they have no choice about whether or not to release a music phone, it is just when.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

Then I will go buy a Sony W850 when it comes on US UMTS networks and not look back... And so will everyone else wanting a MP3 phone and trying to reduce the number of devices we carry. Music phones are just starting to ramp up in sales, and Apple knows this. Frankly they have no choice about whether or not to release a music phone, it is just when.

theres a W830 with edge more suited for US shores but right now only headed for asian markets. and i doubt they will choose to not go with GSM since a GSM phone can be sold world wide.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harald

I've seen some of the next-gen phones from SE, Motorola and Nokia recently, and they are bad ass. Lumps of quartz crysal, sexy neon and amazing displays.

No, they're just bad. quartx crystal, sexy neon and great displays are all just components. They cost the same for every manufacturer, and if Motorola can buy the parts then so can Apple.

Apple is still the undisputed king of industrial design, and they'll have no problem competing on looks or price. Where Apple will want to gain the edge is on usability. If they are planning to release a product into one of these crowded markets, it will be because they've got an idea about how to make a better user experience. If they aren't it's because they haven't, or it's not ready yet.

And for the record, I don't think it will just be a phone with an iPod wheel instead of number keys.

Apple basically invented the GUI, the laptop and the palmtop computers, and they were all flops initially. I think they've learned to wait and see while others fail before jumping in with a solution that trumps what's out there.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    most high end phones are made for a European audience. If Apple made their phone for U.S. carriers and had a cdma version as well it could do well.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Or maybe they're waiting for WiMax to come around... Then maybe, just maybe, they can do something about controlling the whole thing.

Or they can simply release the phone on sale through no carrier... it still might sell, even maybe like hotcakes.

Has anyone realized that "maybe" is maybe my favorite word?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I've heard they were going to be on the 3G network which uses cellular and wi-fi from my understanding. I'm ready to switch carries if I need to.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    TMobile is testing UMA/GSM is certain markets right now (Seattle was first). Might be something Apple is working on as part, or an option, of their forthcoming (super secret surprise inside!) iTV box. Nokia is already producing such a handset (6136), available in some US markets. Basically what that means is that while at home, or in a UMA/WiFi hotspot, you can connect without your minutes being used. When on the go though, your phone would use the standard cel connectivity in your plan.

Here's a link so you know I'm not fos:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=898

Wouldn't be surprised to see Apple roll with TMob initially, despite rumors to the contrary.