Gartner says Apple should let Dell handle the hardware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Gartner, a prominent industry analyst has stated that they believe Apple should give up on making hardware and just licence OS X to Dell. The Gartner article needs a registration to read, but it's been picked up by a few places including slashdot.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/06/10/19/1748225.shtml

It's hardly necessary to point out the idiocy of a statement like this on these forums, but here's a fairly comprehensive trashing of any conceivable justification behind this argument, just in case Michael Dell was getting all excited again...

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/weblog/4

Socrates

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What a fucking tool. What gives this idiot analyst any clue about what a multi billion dollar company should do. I think there doing a damn good job with their hardware and it should only get better this coming year
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Has this guy seen how ugly Dell's stuff is? My neighbors new Core 2 Duo notebook is like 5" thick.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The components inside that make up a DELL just do not work as well as an Apple. It's the little things that Make a Mac. It's also the little things that make DELL crap.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

The components inside that make up a DELL just do not work as well as an Apple. It's the little things that Make a Mac. It's also the little things that make DELL crap.

That's because Dell gets cheaper OEM quality stuff. Other than that, the Components in a Macs, HPs, Dell, etc are the same except for the ROM chip.

It's obvious this guy doesn't get Macs at all. There is a definite crowd for what Apple's selling albeit much smaller than general use PCs. That also being said, there is room for computers and users that are more traditional on Mac OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

That also being said, there is room for computers and users that are more traditional on Mac OS X.

As the article I linked to states, it is obvious that Apple could cheaply expand its market share by selling mini towers with bargain-basement components. In fact if Apple really wanted to take on the PC market they could simply ship a range of Macs preloaded with Windows XP and Mac OS (with Windows as the default to sucker people in) and stick them in all the high-street retailers.

The fact that they aren't doing this tells me that this isn't part of the plan, at least not in the short term. The article also points out a number of drawbacks to bigger market share that Apple has sidestepped by remaining a minority player (viruses for example).

There were a lot of problems that came to light with the iPod when it went mainstream. I think with the Mac, Apple is biding its time chipping away at the market and working out what works and what doesn't. If and when Apple is confident that it can take on the mainstream PC manufacturers and win hands down then you probably won't even have time to blink before Dell/Toshiba/Sony/etc drop out of the PC market as Apple grab 80% market share out of nowhere.

Look at what happened with the iPod after all - one day MP3 players were a novelty gadget that came free in your cereal and Sony was the king of the Walkman/Discman. The next day if it wasn't an iPod nobody wanted to know.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

all things aren't so perfect in a Mac. Check out this