Some MacBook Pro lead times slip amidst rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Estimated wait times for Apple Computer's 15-inch MacBook Pro Intel notebooks have been pushed out in some regions as rumors of impending revisions persist ahead of the holiday shopping season.

In particular, the Apple online store in France now lists both 15-inch MacBook Pro models with estimated delivery times of 3 business days, up from the 24 hour lead times listed over the weekend. The 17-inch model continues to reflect immediate availability.

Those findings were joined by several reports Monday, which imply that Cupertino, Calif.-based company is preparing to introduce Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro revisions at existing price points as early as Tuesday.

Although AppleInsider has been unable to confirm Monday's reports with any degree of certainty, two new Apple manufacturer part numbers have also been making the rounds alongside reports of MacBook Pro updates within the next week and a half: MA609LL/A and MA610LL/A.

Apple's two existing 15-inch MacBook Pro retail configurations carry manufacturer part numbers MA600LL/A and MA601LL/A. On the other hand, the 17-inch MacBook Pro bears a completely different part number in MA092LL/A.

Unfortunately, the most reliable information on Apple's forthcoming notebook revisions continues to be an earlier published report, which indicated the company has plans of updating all of its existing notebook models with Core 2 Duo chips by the second half of November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What more is there to say on this topic? The updates are coming, and everyone's ready. At least I am! Now, Apple, let's get on with it!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:

Those findings were joined by several reports Monday, which imply that Cupertino, Calif.-based company is preparing to introduce Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro revisions at existing price points as early as Tuesday.

Tomorrow, or next Tuesday?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster

Tomorrow, or next Tuesday?

yes. \
  • Reply 4 of 37
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Given my luck with buying Apple products and then to have it refreshed within a month, I'd say I'm going to wait. Anyway I have one of the first 15" MBP so I think I will be waiting awhile for a new one,
  • Reply 5 of 37
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    I'm not buying it. Sounds like there's a shortage on French keyboards to me. Why none of the other countries around France? Also, the French MB ship time is 3 days for the high and low end models, but not the middle one. There may be upgrades tomorrow, but I don't think this is an indicator.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    What if they skipped using core 2 duo and went to quad core. We can only hope.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly

Except, of course, that there is no quad-core laptop CPU from Intel, and won't be for a while.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Except, of course, that there is no quad-core laptop CPU from Intel, and won't be for a while.

I'm sure if Apple made a laptop Dell sized they could fit a Woodcrest in it!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    I really want a tablet notebook. Other computer makers have done this already, but none of their products have impressed me and windows xp tablet edition is a joke. Apple also makes inkwell.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I really want a tablet notebook. Other computer makers have done this already, but none of their products have impressed me and windows xp tablet edition is a joke. Apple also makes inkwell.

Have you used Inkwell? It's not something that I consider to be that impressive.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

I doubt that you'll see a quad core laptop any time soon. The Desktop Core 2 Quadro may have twice the cores, but it also has twice the power consumption to go with it. About the same as a Pentium D.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

I doubt that you'll see a quad core laptop any time soon. The Desktop Core 2 Quadro may have twice the cores, but it also has twice the power consumption to go with it. About the same as a Pentium D.

Kentsfield hasn't been shown to be twice the power consumption that I remember. But even so, it's far too much. The notebook quad core is probably about a year away, after a die shrink and putting them all on a single die.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Can I get a TOMMORROW BABY?

edit: as It's 12:12am, TODAY MAN!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

There is no mobile quad core.

But, I assume you know that.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I'm not buying it. Sounds like there's a shortage on French keyboards to me. Why none of the other countries around France? Also, the French MB ship time is 3 days for the high and low end models, but not the middle one. There may be upgrades tomorrow, but I don't think this is an indicator.

Apple to revise French keyboards! I wonder what they'll change - will they become qwerty, to match others around the world, or will they just have the size of their spacebar bumped?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

If every computer-maker fails to sell this product isn't that an indication that (almost) no one want's a tablet notebook?

They are available for a while now and still doesn't sell.

Why should Apple have a product in it's portfolio that doesn't sell in a market 45 times as big as its own?

It's a niche to small for Apple to release a product in that actually sells.

A MacTablet is a pipe dream.

Some extra functionality in other portable solutions probably not.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Unfortunately, the most reliable information on Apple's forthcoming notebook revisions continues to be an earlier published report, which indicated the company has plans of updating all of its existing notebook models with Core 2 Duo chips by the second half of November.

Second half of November!? Isn't that when Playstation 3 is gonna be released?! Oh yezz, Blu Ray is in the offing! Together with the 64BIT treat, it's gonna be future proof for years to come

So, I'm expecting an announcment on my Bday (Halloween) and a roll out around Poppy day (November 11). I can live with that 8)

PS I am not a gamer!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    I am praying for today, it is in Apples best interest to release it sooner than later!
  • Reply 19 of 37
    In the UK Apple store, All Macbooks except the black one have been on 3 day delivery for over a week at least. Macbook Pros are 24 hour shipping.

So if a 3 day delay is an indicator of new models then in the UK, it's the opposite of France and the MacBooks are getting an update. It's not really that unusual for them to go to 3 days. Happens all the time.

It'd be cool if the lower end MacBooks get an update however as I've got to buy one in the next week or so for my parents. It makes no difference really to them if it's updated or not as the current model is more than adequate. Believe it or not but they're upgrading from a Pentium 66Mhz Windows 95 PC!

Incidentally, I was in PC World over the weekend (UK chain of computer stores). The staff there aren't expecting stock for a week. The were out of stock of MacBooks entirely. That's not to say there's anything coming though. It's a PC dominated store and 'about a week' is usual for them when asked if they're getting something in.

For shoppers, a quick hint too. In PC World, they price new models of computers at £nnn.99 pence. If it's due to be replaced on the shelf, they change the price to £nnn.97 on the label on the shelf rail so that staff on the floor know it's to be replaced shortly with a new model. All the Macs were .99 btw.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In particular, the Apple online store in France now lists both 15-inch MacBook Pro models with estimated delivery times of 3 business days, up from the 24 hour lead times listed over the weekend. The 17-inch model continues to reflect immediate availability.

OK guys, today is the day. The european stores are closing and the US one soon I think (it is always closing last).