The Harry Potter Thread

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I was somewhat supposed that there has not yet been a Harry Potter thread ever at these forums. A search only returns one thread, not really related in any sane way. If anybody here does read Harry Potter, discuss!

Is Snape good/bad?

What will happen in the seventh book?

Which is your favorite and least favorite movies, and why?

Etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I really dislike the movies, only because they have ruined my perception of the characters that I imagined. I generally dislike movies that are done after book for this same reason. Reading for me is very visual and seeing someone else's interpretation of the character looks and behavior doesn't appeal to me much.

I've followed the series, but as I get older I find myself losing interest. As of now, I just want to finish the series. When is the next book supposed to come out?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

I really dislike the movies, only because they have ruined my perception of the characters that I imagined. I generally dislike movies that are done after book for this same reason. Reading for me is very visual and seeing someone else's interpretation of the character looks and behavior doesn't appeal to me much.

I've followed the series, but as I get older I find myself losing interest. As of now, I just want to finish the series. When is the next book supposed to come out?

Rumor has it, mainly just because it is marketing magic and the publishers will try to do this if at all possible, that the book will be out 07/07/07. This is not confirmed. This is significant because it is the 7th book, 7 is a "magical" number (as JK has said explicitly in her books), and a lot of the details in her books are based on 7.

As far as characters in the movies, they are very much alike what I imagined when I read the books. My major criticisms about the movies (and this is significant), is the way it leaves out a lot of the subplots that make them that much more interesting. Also, the young actors/actresses were pretty bad in the first few. They are getting much much better though. The movies are entertaining, but they do not to justice to the books at all.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I agree completely. I really like a lot of the sub plots, they define the characters. I really feel that's what's missing in the movies: character depth.

With that 7/7/07 thing, I wonder how many fanatical christians will show up to the release protesting the book. I remember when the series was just becoming popular this was an issue. I find it ridiculous.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's difficult to imagine what will be the final episode.

I am not sure that Dumbledore is dead, and that he was really betrayed. Dumbledore was the superior magician, and the way he died was nearly pathetic. In the other way, Dumbledore appear now in the magical painting : the author will do what ever she want, especially when you are dealing with magic

There is also the enigma of the mysterious magicians who stoled one of the various Voldemore's horcrux : who is he ? Such a magician, has to be extremely skilled, for having suceeded a taks, that even Dumbledore nearly failed.

fascinating
  • Reply 5 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think the whole Dumbledore/phoenix connection is a metaphor for some mysterious ability Dumbledore has...hmmmm....
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I think the whole Dumbledore/phoenix connection is a metaphor for some mysterious ability Dumbledore has...hmmmm....

That's a very interesting thought.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I really liked the 4th book (my favorite of the series), though the 5th was very mediocre (I haven't seen a main character whine so much since the original star wars movie), but bounced back and enjoyed the 6th.

I think Snape will turn out not evil in the end, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerdoc

It's difficult to imagine what will be the final episode.

I am not sure that Dumbledore is dead, and that he was really betrayed. Dumbledore was the superior magician, and the way he died was nearly pathetic. In the other way, Dumbledore appear now in the magical painting : the author will do what ever she want, especially when you are dealing with magic

There is also the enigma of the mysterious magicians who stoled one of the various Voldemore's horcrux : who is he ? Such a magician, has to be extremely skilled, for having suceeded a taks, that even Dumbledore nearly failed.

fascinating

Many think RAB stands for Regulus (I might be spelling this wrong) Black. Early in the 6th book when cleaning the Black house, harry finds a heavy locket that will not open. This could be the horcrux either dead or alive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

I really liked the 4th book (my favorite of the series), though the 5th was very mediocre (I haven't seen a main character whine so much since the original star wars movie), but bounced back and enjoyed the 6th.

The fifth book I liked a lot because of the hatred of the chracters Umbridge and the way the student's rebelled, etc.

As far as Dumbledore being still alive, I thought that was credible, but I think somewhere it said JK has confirmed that he is NOT still alive. Regardless, I think Snape is good and Dumbledore planned for Snape to kill him.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

I keep imagining a final scene between Harry and a dying Snape where Snape says something to the effect of "I loved Lilly, Potter, do you hear? She was too good for James.... And you... you have her eyes... and his accursed face...." Then Snape dies.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

I keep imagining a final scene between Harry and a dying Snape where Snape says something to the effect of "I loved Lilly, Potter, do you hear? She was too good for James.... And you... you have her eyes... and his accursed face...." Then Snape dies.

V/R,

Aries 1B

a) You are a sick sick man

b) That would be TOTALLY out of character for Snape.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

a) You are a sick sick man

b) That would be TOTALLY out of character for Snape.

I was sick, but I'm getting better.

I think that Snape's hatred of James Potter stems partially from the [possibility] that Snape loved Lilly and lost her to James (as well as from James' and Sirius' taunting of Snape, of course). Harry's existance was a daily reminder that Snape lost to James and Harry's eyes were a daily reminder of what/whom Snape lost.

Further, I see Snape's redemption (in Dumbledore's eyes) arising from Snape's burning desire to kill Voldemort for murdering Lilly. Snape's guilt over facilitating Lilly's death could further fuel his hatred of Harry.

... we'll just have to see how Ms. Rowling spins the tale.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

I was sick, but I'm getting better.

I think that Snape's hatred of James Potter stems partially from the [possibility] that Snape loved Lilly and lost her to James (as well as from James' and Sirius' taunting of Snape, of course). Harry's existance was a daily reminder that Snape lost to James and Harry's eyes were a daily reminder of what/whom Snape lost.

Further, I see Snape's redemption (in Dumbledore's eyes) arising from Snape's burning desire to kill Voldemort for murdering Lilly. Snape's guilt over facilitating Lilly's death could further fuel his hatred of Harry.

... we'll just have to see how Ms. Rowling spins the tale.

V/R,

Aries 1B

I will admit that you have something there... but I'm not sure it is to the extent that you said.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    i agree.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Another topic for thought:

Do you think JK was influenced by Miltonic ideas (Paradise Lost) when at the end of the third book Voldemort says, "There is no good and evil, just those with power and those too weak to seek it."
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Rumor has it, mainly just because it is marketing magic and the publishers will try to do this if at all possible, that the book will be out 07/07/07. This is not confirmed. This is significant because it is the 7th book, 7 is a "magical" number (as JK has said explicitly in her books), and a lot of the details in her books are based on 7.

Unfortunately although this is a great idea the 5th film is due for US release on 13 Jul 07. I can't see Warner Bros being happy with the film release being overshadowed by the book release. Shame.

Podcast
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Unfortunately although this is a great idea the 5th film is due for US release on 13 Jul 07. I can't see Warner Bros being happy with the film release being overshadowed by the book release. Shame.

Podcast

This has been noted as an issue, but honestly, I don't see it being an issue.

Most fanatics will read the book within the first weekend to week it is out, leaving them pumped, wanting more, and ready to see the film. It's only an overshadow thing when they complete.