Most Useful Widget Ever: Deep Sleep

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all, I don't believe this was ever posted but I may be wrong since I haven't had a chance to get on AI in a while.

Anywho, I found this awesome widget that takes advantage of the "Hibernate" feature in Mac OS 10.4. For those who don't know, when you put your laptop to sleep, in newer powerbooks, macbooks, and macbook pros the contents of your RAM is written in your hard drive so that if you lose power for some reason, you can start up the computer later and have everything that was running still be there. Basically like Hibernate for Windows. But the problem is that it only works if you lose power to your laptop (battery goes dead, etc) after you put your laptop into sleep mode. There's no way to initiate something like Hibernate for Windows where you can basically freeze your computer in it's state and power it off completely.

Until Now!

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

I found this widget called Deep Sleep, all you have to do is install it, the widget looks like a moon and when you click on it, it asks for your authentication, then puts your computer into Hibernation! Basically like Hibernate for windows, so when you power up your computer, you can pick up right where you left off!

It even works on my older powerbook (circa 2003) that does not have deep sleep enabled by default by Apple.

Hope you guys find this interesting!

**Remember to save your work, don't use this as your primary way of holding your work for later. Always practice good computing habits by saving frequently.