Does .mac work with Microsoft Entourage?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am getting my first Mac next week and will be switching from Windows Xp. I plan to use Office 2004 for Mac and likely will use Entourage as my PIM. I'm interested as well in subscribing to .mac so that I can store my contacts, etc. online for when I'm on the go. As well, I know there is a isync application to sync with phones. If I go with Entourage though will any of my contacts, email, and calendars sync to pda's/phones or .mac?

I know there is the option of using address book, mail, and ical. I just like the layout of Entourage. Is it possible for me to sync the Entourage data as well with ical, mail, and calendars allowing me to use isync and .mac? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    The only real reason to use Entourage 2004 is to gain some degree of compatibility with Exchange when the Mail/Address Book/iCal triumverate does not work. Otherwise, Entourage is probably the most troublesome email app on any platform. OTOH, Mail "just works." It has a built-in, trainable, junk mail filter that also "just works." Use Entourage if you must, but don't if you don't have to.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    markw10markw10 Posts: 356member
    My idea of using Entourage is since I'm used to Outlook on Windows plus I know there is a way to transfer data from Outlook to Entourage. Is it possible for me to convert my outlook data to mail/address/ical?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The only real reason to use Entourage 2004 is to gain some degree of compatibility with Exchange when the Mail/Address Book/iCal triumverate does not work. Otherwise, Entourage is probably the most troublesome email app on any platform. OTOH, Mail "just works." It has a built-in, trainable, junk mail filter that also "just works." Use Entourage if you must, but don't if you don't have to.

Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but I'm hoping that you can perhaps elaborate a little what is so troublesome about Entourage.

I am a returning to the Mac platform after a 11-year exile in the Windows world. My present employer uses Microsoft Exchange (and Microsoft Sharepoint), and I really need to have proper Exchange connectivity. Entourage's Project Centre feature also looks pretty useful to me -- it's something that I've wanted for a long time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Mr. Me: Sorry, I should have read through more threads. I see the problem with Entourage and Exchange. I guess the next question is how good is Mail.app's support for Exchange connectivity?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    PocoMail for Windows includes an Outlook import app. It will convert Outlook mailboxes to .mbx files. The converter is included in the demo.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Galley: Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I *need* to use whatever email client I have with Microsoft Exchange. PocoMail doesn't appear to allow that.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digitus View Post

Mr. Me: Sorry, I should have read through more threads. I see the problem with Entourage and Exchange. I guess the next question is how good is Mail.app's support for Exchange connectivity?

Mail along with iCal and Address Book have excellent Exchange compatibility. Apple's apps are at least as good as Entourage 2004 and probably better. The problem is not on the client side. The problem is on the server side. It all depends on how your IT staff sets up your Exchanger server. Microsoft was founded by hackers and that culture very much still alive and in evidence with Exchange. Every Exchange implementation is different. My suggestion is to setup your email using Mail's setup wizard's Exchange settings. If it works, great. If not, try the IMAP settings instead. If this does not work, then talk to your IT staff.

If you have Outlook, including the defunct Outlook 2001 MacOS 9 client, it will automatically discover your Exchange server settings. You don't have to sacrifice a virgin or chant incantations. Entourage 2004, the only Microsoft client which can access Exchange from the Mac, cannot automatically discover Exchange settings. Entourage v.X accesses Exchange only via IMAP. Thank you Microsoft.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Mail along with iCal and Address Book have excellent Exchange compatibility. Apple's apps are at least as good as Entourage 2004 and probably better. The problem is not on the client side. The problem is on the server side. It all depends on how your IT staff sets up your Exchanger server. Microsoft was founded by hackers and that culture very much still alive and in evidence with Exchange. Every Exchange implementation is different. My suggestion is to setup your email using Mail's setup wizard's Exchange settings. If it works, great. If not, try the IMAP settings instead. If this does not work, then talk to your IT staff.

If you have Outlook, including the defunct Outlook 2001 MacOS 9 client, it will automatically discover your Exchange server settings. You don't have to sacrifice a virgin or chant incantations. Entourage 2004, the only Microsoft client which can access Exchange from the Mac, cannot automatically discover Exchange settings. Entourage v.X accesses Exchange only via IMAP. Thank you Microsoft.

Thanks very much for your reply. How much of Exchange functionality is possible assuming that a clean connection with the Exchange server is possible?