Just bought MPB, need choices for external hard drive...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm patiently waiting for my new mbp to arrive and think I might need an external hard drive..

What are some good proven/relaible ones out there.

Also how do I setup a wireless external hard drive.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I've had good luck with LaCie drives. For me, USB2 seems less prone to problems than Firewire. It pains me to say that...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I like G-raid drives, I have a 320 gb one, and no problems at all with firewire.

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid2.cfm

• Reply 3 of 5
    That reminds me, are you a tarheel e#?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

That reminds me, are you a tarheel e#?

I am a coastal British Columbian (native garb = plad work shirt, jeans and gumboots), and I don't really like sports (except live Hockey, with fighting). I live in between UNC and Duke, but most of my friends are NC State wolfpack fans, because that is the local engineering school. My nephew is a big UNC fan, but the UNC light blue color makes me kind of puke.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmptyPockets

I'm patiently waiting for my new mbp to arrive and think I might need an external hard drive..

What are some good proven/relaible ones out there.

Also how do I setup a wireless external hard drive.

Thanks

Don't know about wireless, but I use a couple LaCie drives. I've got a 250 Gig Porche design model that was cheap and is small and reasonable quiet, but only has USB, and then I've got a 500 Gig "Big Disk" which is considerably bigger and noisier but has firewire 400/800 and seems like it's much more solid. I use the Porche for travelling, because it's so much lighter and smaller, and truthfully, I find USB more reliable (and it helps for sharing with other people). I'd recommend both.